One of the frustrations that consumers face when a food recall is announced is the lack of information about which retail stores received and were selling the recalled products. This information is especially important when the product recall is triggered by a deadly food poisoning outbreak.
Most of the meat recalled by Maple Leaf Consumer Foods was sold to food service operators, hospitals, nursing homes and some retail delis.
The following retail items have been recalled so far. Click on the highlighted company names to navigate to the recall notices, which provide details on product descriptions and Best Before dates.
- Royal Touch Foods has recalled Shopsy's deli-fresh Classic Reuben, sold in a 180g package labeled with UPC 7 76393 17001 8 and Best Before dates of AU 22 and AU 24. The sandwiches were sold at the Bloor Superfresh Mart and several Shoppers Drug Mart locations.
- Lucerne Foods, a Calgary-based company, has recalled Safeway Gold Standard sandwiches labeled with Best Before dates up to and including AU 25, sold in Safeway stores in Alberta and Saskatchewan, and TakeAwayCafé sandwiches labeled with various Best Before dates up to and including 08 SE 10, sold in Mac's Convenience stores throughout Alberta.
- Metro Ontario, Inc. has recalled three varieties of Fresh 2 Go (F2GO) brand sandwiches with "PKGD on" dates up to and including 08 AU 24. The sandwiches are sold in Ontario through selected Dominion and A&P stores.
- Atlantic Prepared Foods Limited (Alberton, PEI) has recalled Irving, Sub Delicious, and Needs brands sandwiches with various Best Before dates up to and including 08 SE 3. The sandwiches were distributed at unspecified locations throughout New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. (Ottawa, ON) has recalled two varieties of Kirkland Signature platters, with best before dates up to and including 08 AU 28 and 08 AU 29, respectively. The platters were sold through Costco Wholesale stores across Canada.
- Sobey's Inc. (Mississauga, ON) has recalled its Cooked Ham and Salami sandwiches and Deli Lunch Box Wraps. The sandwiches are sold in Sobeys, Foodland and IGA stores throughout Ontario. The recalled sandwiches and wraps are labeled with "Packed on" dates up to and including 2008 AU 24.
- White House Meats Inc. (Toronto, ON) has recalled "oven roasted turkey breast" sold at the deli counter from its Bloor Street and Bayview Avenue locations, as well as oven roasted turkey breast packaged in 200g vacuum packs that were sold at the Bayview location. All of the recalled products were last sold on August 24th.
- Delta Country Market (Delta, ON) has recalled three ready-to-eat deli meats that are included in the Maple Leaf meat recall.
- Glen Fine Foods (Cornwall, ON) has recalled its Big Glen Sandwich, sold in vending machines in eastern Ontario. The recalled sandwiches are labeled with Best Before dates up to and including Aug 30/08.
- Loblaws Companies Limited (Brampton, ON) has recalled several different ready-to-eat items that contain meat products recalled by Maple Leaf Consumer Foods. Some of the recalled items were made and sold at Loblaws, Loblaw Superstore, and Real Canadian Superstore in Ontario and are labeled with Best Before dates up to and including August 25, 2008; some products were made and sold at Loblaws and Provigo in Quebec and are labeled with Best Before dates up to and including August 27, 2008.
- Sobey's Inc. (Stellarton, NS) has recalled a large number of ready-to-eat products, including hospitality trays. Some of the recalled products were sold at Sobeys and Foodland stores in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador. A number of sandwiches, wraps and deli meats were sold at Sobeys and IGA stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario. Other recalled products were sold in IGA, Bonichoix, Tradition, and Omni stores in Quebec. Please navigate to the CFIA recall notice for details on the stores and locations involved.
- Metro-Richelieu, Inc. (Montreal, QC) has recalled three deli meat products bearing Best Before dates up to and including 05 SE 08. The vacuum-packed meats were sold in certain Metro, Richelieu, Ami and Gem stores in Quebec.
- Metro Ontario Inc. (Toronto, ON) has recalled Reduced Cold Cut Ends sold in some A&P, Dominion, Loeb and The Barn stores in Ontario. The packages bear Best Before dates up to and including August 27, 2008.
- Canada Safeway Limited (Calgary, AB) has recalled store-made sandwiches sold at Safeway stores in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan. The sandwiches are labeled with Best Before dates up to and including 08 AU 26.
- Country Traditions Frozen Foods (Napanee, ON) has recalled kielbassa sausage cuts sold at Country Traditions, Taste of Country, and Country Farm Supply stores in Ontario. The kielbassa carries Best Before dates up to and including Oct 22/08.
- Co-op Atlantic (Moncton, NB) has recalled several ready-to-eat deli meats, vacuum-packaged in-store, and sold at certain Co-op Atlantic stores in the Atlantic provinces and Quebec's Magdalen Islands. The deli meats bear Best Before dates up to and including 08/09/07 or 08/09/14.
- King Bean Wholesalers (Surrey, BC) has recalled certain of its sandwiches, which were sold in stores in New Westminster, Surrey, and Langley, BC. The sandwiches are labeled with Best Before dates up to and including 01-SEP-08.
- Canex Retail Supermarket (Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL) has recalled Canex Maple Leaf Bologna, vacuum-packaged in various weights. The recall includes all Best Before dates up to and including Oct 10, 08. NEW
Maple Leaf has now recalled all outstanding products that were processed in the Bartor Road facility. The list, which is nine pages long, is available on the Maple Leaf web site (click here). CFIA also has posted a recall list, which is available here. Both generic and brand name institutional and retail package sizes have been recalled, including:
Artisan Collection, Best Value, Bittners, Bittners/Schneiders, Boston Pizza, Burns, Campfire, Compliments, Coorsh, Country Morning, Equality, Fleetwood, Food Service, Harmonie, Hickory Farms, Hygrade, Kirkland Signature, Main Street Deli, Maple Leaf, Tim Horton, Mayfair/Marque, McDonalds, Mitchell's, Mr. Sub, No Name, Northern Best Value, Olympic, Our Compliments, Overlander, Parma, Pizza Nova, Rouyn, Safeway, Schneiders, and Shopsy's
We'll continue to update as additional retail-level recall information is released. If you hear of any retail level recalls that are not on this list, please post a comment, below.