If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Amazing Taste Foods (Malibu, CA) recalls three Amazing Taste Seasoning Mixes, because they contain black pepper that was recalled by Mincing Overseas Spice Company and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The seasoning mixes were sold in Meijer stores and probably also were available in other retail grocery stores and supermarkets.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: INZ Distributors Inc./Magic Power Coffee Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls all production dates up to 05/08/2010 of Magic Power Coffee dietary supplement after FDA undeclared hydroxythiohomosildenafil in the product. Hydroxythiohomosildenafil, which is chemically similar to Sildenafil (a prescription drug used to treat erectile dysfunction) may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs such as nitroglycerin and may lower blood pressure to dangerous levels.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Union Development Frozen Foods Co., Ltd. (Taiwan, Republic of China) that an evaluation of the company's HACCP plan dated May 3, 2010 revealed serious deviations from the requirements of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Mamma Lina's, Inc. (San Diego, CA) that a March 30/April 1, 2010 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Tejas Industries Inc. (Hereford, TX) that December 2009 and January 2010 inspections of the companies facilities, together with FDA's having detected Salmonella meleagridis in a sample of Merrick Beef Filet Squares pet chews, confirmed that the company offered pet treats for sale as food that were adulterated. FDA also identified shortcomings in the company's recall of the Salmonella-contaminated pet chews.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Finland): FORCE Sports Nutrition Ky recalls KA Boom Action Strips (best before 11/05/2009) because the dietary supplement contains tadalafil, a prescription drug used to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Finland): NES-Trade Oy (FORCE Sports Nutrition Ky) recalls Animal Cuts (best before 03/14/13) because the dietary supplement contains the prescription drug progesterone.
- Food Safety Recall (Republic of Ireland): Musgrave Retail Partners Ireland recalls all batch codes of Supervalu Jelly Mix, Supervalu Fizzy Jelly Mix, Centra Jelly Mix and Centra Fizzy Jelly Mix (160 g bags) because some of the jellies contain lumps of hard undissolved ingredients, which present a choking hazard.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0848): Thiacloprid (pesticide) in pears from Argentina, via Uruguay; distributed in Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0849): High iodine content in seaweed from China; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0851): Too high content of sorbic acid in dried pitted prunes from the Czech Republic, with raw material from Argentina; distributed in Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0854): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen pangasius fillets from Vietnam; distributed in Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0855): Fenpropathrin (pesticide) in peaches from Egypt, via Hungary; distributed in Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0856): Cadmium in frozen raw cuttlefish (Sepia pharaonis) from Vietnam; distributed in France.
Asia, Africa and the Middle East
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.0850): Salmonella in poultry meal from Spain; distributed in Israel.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.