If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Rich Products Corporation recalls Allen Bavarian Crème Filling (product code 02881) with production codes 11870137F21, F-22, F-23, F-24, F-25, because the product may contain undeclared pecans, milk, and coconut.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers that Magic Power Coffee, an instant coffee product marketed as a dietary supplement for sexual enhancement, contains hydroxythiohomosildenafil, an active drug ingredient that can dangerously lower blood pressure.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): ALDI recalls Class A refrigerated whole fresh chicken (without giblets; best before 14th June 2010; imported from Germany), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Italy's Ministry of Health has received consumer complaints about blue color developing in mozzarella cheese produced by the MILCHWERK JAGER GMBH & Co., a German company. The following cheese brands have been removed from the retail market: "LAND" (Eurospin stores), "LOVILIO" (LIDL stores) and "MALGA PARADISO" (MD discount stores). Lab analyses are in progress to determine the reason for the off-color.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0799): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of fresh chilled grouper fillets from Argentina; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0800): Listeria in sliced smoked salmon from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0801): Benzoic acid unauthorized in palm sugar from Thailand, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0802): Prohibited substance nitrofuran, nitrofurazone in frozen shrimp tails from India; distributed in France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0803): Aflatoxins in brown beans from Nigeria, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0804): Migration of formaldehyde and of melamine and too high level of total migration from melamine spaghetti spoon from Thailand; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0805): Cadmium in frozen squid rings from China; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0806): Mercury in silver scabbardfish (Lepidopus caudatus) from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0807): Altered organoleptic characteristics (blue) of mozzarella cheese from Germany; distributed in Italy.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0808): Migration of formaldehyde and of melamine from melamine kitchen utensil from Thailand; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0809): High aerobic plate count for raw milk from Germany; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0810): Salmonella in black pepper from the Netherlands; distributed in Belgium, Finland, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0811): Unauthorized and undeclared Acesulfame K and Aspartame unauthorised and undeclared Acesulfame K and Aspartame in apple-flavored natural mineral water from Turkey; distributed in Denmark, Finland and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0812): Escherichia coli in oysters from France; distributed in Austria, France, Germany, Spain and Switzerland.
Australia and New Zealand
- Counterfeit Pharmaceutical Product Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration is urgently investigating the source of the counterfeit Viagra (sildenafil) that has been supplied in Australia and has entered the wholesale/pharmacy supply chain. The counterfeit product is labelled as 100 mg tablets in packs of 4 with Batch Number 314833021 and Expiry Date 04 2012. Lab analyses have shown that the active ingredient, sildenafil, is present in an incorrect dose.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.