If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Lancaster Foods, LLC recalls fresh Spinach with the Best Enjoyed By dates of 19 JUN 10 through 27 JUN 10, sold under the brand names Krisp-Pak, Lancaster Fresh, Giant, and America's Choice because they could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled spinach was distributed in New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina, and Virginia, and was available in retail supermarkets and grocery stores, including Giant Eagle (12/10 OZ Lancaster Fresh Curly Leaf Spinach) and Giant (GIANT Spinach 10 Ounce Package) stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Sampco, Inc. (Chicago, IL) recalls approximately 61,000 pounds of cooked canned and frozen beef products that may contain the animal drug Ivermectin. The recalled products were imported from Brazil, which has voluntarily suspended its export of cooked beef products. The recall includes: 12 oz. cans of Deltina CORNED BEEF WITH JUICES with the production code 100120; 12 oz. cans of Hormel CORNED BEEF WITH NATURAL JUICES with the production code 100120; 35 lb. boxes of frozen SEASONED COOKED BEEF; and 35 lb. boxes of Sampco Brand FROZEN COOKED BEEF, Salt Added. The Deltina products were sent to a Florida distribution center for retail sales; Hormel products were shipped to distribution centers in Guam for retail sales. The frozen products were shipped to federal establishments in the United States for further processing.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Procter & Gamble recalls VapoSpray 4-Hour Nasal Spray by Sinex, because the product formulation may not meet the expiration dates on the package. All expiration dates prior to June 2013 are included in this recall.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Wilton Industries Inc. (Woodridge, IL) recalls Wilton® Youth Tiara with a SKU number of 120-228, because the tiaras contain high levels of lead.
- Allergy Alert (UK): EH Booth and Co. Ltd. withdraws Chateau Ducla French AC Bordeaux Superior 2005 and 2006 because they contain sulphites that are not declared on the label.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Apetit Kala Oy recalls Lohichorizo 250 g, Spanish-style flavored salmon products, because the product contains undeclared milk ingredients, due to a labeling mix-up.
- Food Safety Alert (Denmark): The Danish Food Safety Agency warns the public that pork and pork products delivered to a barbecue held at the address Søndervang 13, 5400 Bogense, Fyn was obtained from illegally slaughtered under unhygienic conditions and may contain pathogenic bacteria.
- Food Safety Recall (France): CIPF-Codipal de Metz recalls Monteverdi, Del Carlo, Prix Gagnant and Dia brands of mozzarella cheese after Italian authorities determine that the presence of Pseudomonas fluorescence bacteria in the cheese causes the mozzarella to turn blue after the package is opened. The cheese was manufactured by the German company Milchwerk Jäger and exported to France and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0833): Mercury in frozen swordfish from Vietnam; distributed in the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0834): Glass fragments in various tomato sauces from Spain; distributed in France by Magasins U.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0835): Mercury in frozen sliced blue shark from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0836 and EU #2010.0839): Aflatoxins in fig paste from Turkey; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0837): High content of morphine in poppy seeds from unknown origin, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0838): Vibrio cholerae and Vibrio parahaemolyticus in frozen cooked shrimps from India; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0840): Mold growth in gouda cheese from Germany; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0841): Unauthorized colours Sudan 1 and Sudan 4 in curry powder from Austria; distributed in Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0842): Histamine in mildly smoked mackerel in oill from Thailand; distributed in Austria and Germany.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Crombie & Price Ltd recalls Orgran Gluten Free Molasses Licorice 200g (Best before 31 October 2011; product of Australia), because the licorice contains undeclared gluten. The recalled product was sold in selected supermarkets and health food stores throughout New Zealand.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Australia): Gameco recalls all Clean'n'Go, Shine'n'Go, and Safe'n'Go barbeque care solution products packaged in clear plastic trigger-spray bottles, because the PET bottles used for the Clean'n'Go product have reacted to the solution causing some leakage of the contents. The recalled barbeque care products were available nationally at BP Service Stations, 7-Eleven stores, Elgas and Swap’n’Go stores.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.