The recalled sauce was displayed for sale without refrigeration and was not prepared in a manner that would guarantee its safety for human consumption. The sauce was packaged in 1-liter glass jars (Mason-type jars).
Products sold in hermetically sealed containers and stored/displayed at room temperature may permit the growth of Clostridium botulinum and the production of botulinum toxin, a potent neurotoxin that can cause paralysis and death. These types of products must be prepared and packaged under carefully controlled conditions to ensure that any spores of Clostridium botulinum are killed during processing.
Under no circumstances should this sauce be consumed. Customers who purchased the recalled product should return it to the store for a full refund.