If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Dulcería Chepito (Cabo Rojo, PR) recalls Chepito Dulces Tropicales - Almejas (6 oz. pkg), because the product contains undeclared egg. The recalled Almejas was distributed locally to retailers in the western part of the Commonwealth.
- Food Safety Recall: Specialty Farms LLC expands its earlier recall to include Specialty Farms brand Organic Alfalfa Sprouts Blend and Organic Sprout Salad (4 oz. plastic containers best if sold by 8/3/2010), Natures Promise Organic Alfalfa Sprouts (4 oz. container and 8 oz. bag, best if sold by 8/1/2010), and Natures Promise Organic Zesty Sprouts (4 oz., best if sold by 8/1/2010), because the recalled sprouts may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Natures Promise is a Stop & Shop brand. The recalled sprouts were supplied to distributors and to retail stores in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- Food Safety Recall: The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company recalls Nature's Promise Alfalfa and Zesty Sprouts (all date codes) because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The sprouts were produced for Stop & Shop by Specialty Farms (see above), and were sold in Stop & Shop stores in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Rhode Island.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Nutraloid Labs Inc. recalls two dietary supplement products sold under the names: ejaculoid XXTREME and stimuloid II after an FDA lab analysis determined that the products contain sulfoaildenafil, similar in structure to Sildenafil, which is an active ingredient of an FDA-approved drug for male Erectile Dysfunction. The undeclared ingredient may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs such as nitroglycerin and may lower blood pressure to dangerous levels.
- Allergy Alert: Nutrisoya Inc. (St- Hyacinthe, QC) recalls Maple flavour natur-a Glacé brand non-dairy frozen dessert (946 mL containers; UPC 0 63667 80124 3; lot code 16810), because the non-dairy dessert contains undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed only in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Cowichan Valley Meat Market (Duncan, BC) recalls five pepperoni products (PKGD. ON (packaged on) dates up to and including JL 28) because they may be contaminated with with Clostridium botulinum. Toxins produced by these bacteria may cause botulism, a life-threatening illness. The affected products were sold only at Cowichan Valley Meat Market, 5191 Koksilah Frontage Road, Duncan, BC.
- Allergy Alert Update (Ireland): A number of additional food businesses have withdrawn batches of yogurt raisins due to the presence of undeclared egg. Implicated batches of yogurt raisins are: Evergreen (Galway), Best Before: 03.04.2011, pack size: 272 g; Health & Healing (Wicklow), Best Before: May 2011, pack size: 200 g; In a Nutshell Emporium (New Ross), Best before: May 2011, pack sizes: 120 g and 130 g.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Lidl Suomi Ky recalls chicken fillets marinated in a garlic/pepper sauce (imported from Germany; 250g plastick pkg.; expiry date of 21/07/2010), because the product is contaminated with Salmonella.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Kent Pharmaceuticals Limited recalls packs of 28 Citalopram 10 mg tablets embossed with the batch number IB10309, IB10409, IB10509 or IB10609, because in a very small number of cases, 20 mg blisters with the same batch number have been packed in 10 mg cartons.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1037): Salmonella cubana in soyabean meal from Brazil, via the Netherlands; distributed in Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1038): Salmonella cubana in soyabean meal from Brazil; distributed in Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1040): Aflatoxins in groundnuts from South Africa, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1041): Deterioration of organoleptic characteristics of coffee made with coffee filters from the Netherlands; distributed in Poland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1042): Undeclared milk ingredient (casein) in plain chocolate bar 70% from the United Kingdom; distributed in Greece.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1043): Undeclared milk ingredient in chocolate from Germany; distributed in Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1044): Salmonella in calf meat from the Netherlands; distributed in Sweden.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1045): Salmonella in dog chews from India; distributed in Germany.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1046): Salmonella Oranienburg in rape seed meal from the Slovak Republic; distributed in Austria.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1047): Lead in iron oxide from France, via the Netherlands; distributed in Belgium.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1048): Salmonella in dog chews from Germany; distributed in Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1049): Arsenic in dried algae (Hizikia fusiforme) from Japan, via the United Kingdom; distributed in Switzerland.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1050): Migration of primary aromatic amines from skimmer from China; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1051): Aflatoxins in groundnuts from South Africa, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1052): Foreign body (glass fragments) in barbecue sauce from the United Kingdom, via Germany; distributed in Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1053): Salmonella typhimurium DT 193 - multiresistant in chilled turkey fillets from Germany; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1054): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen salmon salar from Poland, manufactured in Denmark; distributed in Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1055): Listeria monocytogenes and high aerobic plate count in vacuum packed swordfish fillets (Xiphias gladius) from Chile; distributed in the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1056): Histamine in alice fillets in sunflowers seeds oil from Morocco; distributed in Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1057): Undeclared egg in yogurt raisins from the United Kingdom; distributed in Ireland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Herbal Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health has instructed a licensed Chinese herbal medicine wholesaler Wong Chak Kee Limited to recall Radix Strobilanthis Forrestii from retailers as it was found to contain atropine.The recall was made following DH’s investigation into a case of poisoning involving a 79-year-old woman who had a history of taking Chinese herbs bought from Wing Woo Hing, a licensed Chinese herbal medicines retailer in Sheung Wan for eczema. The Radix Strobilanthis Forrestii was imported from Fo Shan by Wong Chak Kee Limited and was supplied to local retailers including Wing Woo Hing.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.