If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Promesa Distributors (Winston-Salem, NC) 12-ounce packages of Orgeat Instant Drink Mix because the product may contain dairy allergens that were not declared on its label. The product is sold at Hispanic markets in Charlotte and Winston-Salem.
- Food Safety Recall: D & M Smoked Fish, Inc. (Queens, NY) recalls Haifa brand vacuum packaged Schmaltz Herring with the lot number 168 and Sell-by date of 7/20/10 (imported from Norway), because the product was found to be uneviscerated. The sale of uneviscerated fish is prohibited under New York State Agriculture and Markets regulations because of Clostridium botulinum spores are more likely to be concentrated in the viscera than any other portion of the fish. Uneviscerated fish has been linked to outbreaks of botulism poisoning.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: J & H Besta Corp. (Hicksville, NY) recalls Slim-30 Herb Supplement (lot #032009) distributed by the company, after being informed that FDA found the product to contain undeclared N-Desmethyl Sibutramine and traces of Sibutramine. Slim-30 Herb Supplement is marketed as a Natural Herb for Weight Loss. It is packaged in plastic bottles containing 30 capsules per bottle and bears UPC 8 31457 005009 2. The product was sold to distributors and retail stores in the US and China and via internet sales.
- Food Safety Recall: Freybe Gourmet Foods Ltd. recalls Freybe headcheese (manufactured for Freybe by Brandt Meat Packers (Mississauga, ON), because the ready-to-eat deli meat has been implicated in an outbreak of Salmonella Chester illnesses in British Columbia. Freybe distributed the headcheese to the Overwaitea Food Group (which includes Save-on-Foods, PriceSmart Foods, Urban Fare and Cooper’s Foods) and Thrifty Foods stores, as well as other smaller delis in Western Canada and the Yukon.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (China): J & H Besta Corp. (Hicksville, NY) recalls Slim-30 Herb Supplement (lot #032009) distributed by the company, after being informed that FDA found the product to contain undeclared N-Desmethyl Sibutramine and traces of Sibutramine. Slim-30 Herb Supplement is marketed as a Natural Herb for Weight Loss. It is packaged in plastic bottles containing 30 capsules per bottle and bears UPC 8 31457 005009 2. The product was sold to distributors and retail stores in the US and China and via internet sales.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (India): The Food Safety & Standards Authority of India advises the public that some "Dietary Supplement" products containing steroids or steroid-like substances may have been imported into India from the United States. The public is urged to refrain from using these products, which were distributed mostly through the Internet. Please click on the live link to navigate to a complete list of the suspect products.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.