If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Specialty Farms brand Organic Alfalfa Sprouts Blend and Organic Sprout Salad ("sell-by date of 7/26/2010" and net weight 4 ounces in plastic containers), recalled by Specialty Farms LLC (Bridgeport, CT) because of possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, were available in Big Y Foods, Inc. stores. Big Y is a regional supermarket chain with stores in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Medical Product Recall: Airgas South, Inc., a distributor of industrial, medical, and specialty gases, announces an expanded recall of medical gas products filled at its Chattanooga, Tennessee facility, because these products may have been manufactured under conditions that did not sufficiently comply with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns BCS African Wholesale Food Supply Inc. (Brooklyn Park, MN) that a February/March 2010 inspection of the company's facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) regulation for foods.
- Food Quality Withdrawal: MaraNatha Nut Butters withdraws MaraNatha Organic Peanut Butter Creamy With Salt (Lot Code: 19NOV10) due to quality issues that are unrelated to product safety. The withdrawn peanut butter was sold in Buehlers and Ingles Markets stores, and may have been available in other retail grocery stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Newdan Food A/S recalls Turkey breast fillets, fresh, chilled, class A (900g; imported from Germany; Lot #15 16 894; Best before 24-7-2010), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Thise Mejeri recalls Organic lactose-free Jersey Cocoa Milk (1 liter; Best before 03-08-2010) because internal tests showed a high content of total number of bacteria and increased levels of coliform bacteria. While there is no immediate safety issue, the presence of high numbers of total bacteria and coliforms may result in taste defects or a shortened shelf life.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1021): Suffocation risk as a result of the consumption (carrageenan) of fruit jelly mini-cups from Malaysia, via the United Kingdom; distributed in France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1022): Undeclared hazelnut in milk chocolate from Poland; distributed in the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1023): Fumonisins (mycotoxins) in instant cereal from Nigeria; distributed in the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1024): Unsuitable organoleptic characteristics of mascarpone cheese from Italy; distributed in France and Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall (Hong Kong): Neochem Pharm Labs recalls from pharmacies and medical practitioners all batches of two registered products, B-Com Forte Syrup (Reg. No. HK-05440) and B-Com Syrup (Reg. No. HK-17496), on quality grounds.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Hunsa Smallgoods recalls Hunsa Cacciatore Hot Salami (225 gram plastic wrapped; Use By 26 Aug 10), because the salami may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed only in the Perth metro area (West Australia).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.