If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Northglenn, CO. July 9: Thirteen children and one teacher at Little Sailors Child Development have been diagnosed with a "mild" E. coli infection.
- Olympia, WA. July 9: The Washington State Department of Health has issued a bottled-water advisory for Spokane County Raceway because E. coli was detected at one location during routine testing of the park’s tap water.
- Olympia, WA. July 9: The Washington State Department of Health reminds the public that warm summer weather increases the risk of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in oysters. Oysters – especially those that were gathered by recreational harvesters – should be cooked thoroughly before being eaten. Multiple reports of Vibrio gastroenteritis have led state health officials to issue a warning to recreational and commercial shellfish harvesters. Extra precautions have been put in place in the Hood Canal area because more than one illness has originated from oysters harvested there.
- University Park, PA. July 9: The tennis camp counselor diagnosed with E. coli in late June contracted the illness while at Penn State. A second counselor at the camp returned home after camp with stomach problems, but was not tested to determine the source of his illness.
- Ellensburg, WA. July 9: Foursquare Church Daycare and Preschool, the last of three daycare facilities that were closed due to an outbreak of E. coli, is expected to reopen on Monday.
- Apalachicola, FL. July 10: Shrimp, grouper, tuna and other seafood sampled from the fringes of the oil in the Gulf of Mexico are safe to eat, according to test results reported by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Owen Sound, ON. July 9: The Grey Bruce Health Unit is currently involved in the investigation of a large cluster of illness among those attending a wedding dinner last Saturday (July 3rd) at Stone Tree Golf and Fitness Centre, as well as other events held at the same venue. The bride and groom are among the 150 wedding reception attendees who became ill.
- Gorno-Altaisk, Tuva, Russia. July 9: Twenty-two children attending the Otchugash recreation camp were treated for Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning. Eleven of the children were hospitalized, but all have now been released. An unscheduled inspection of the camp's kitchen facilities uncovered several serious food safety violations. Operations at the camp have been suspended for 20 days to allow time to correct all violations.
- Moscow, Russia. July 10: Eight members of an Italian tour group, including the tour leader, were hospitalized with food poisoning after dining at the International Hotel in Moscow. Three others were examined but declined to be hospitalized. The condition of the hospitalized tour members is described as "moderate."
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Ciudad Quesada, Costa Rica. July 9: Norovirus in the water supply caused the diarrhea outbreak that affected about 500 people in Ciudad Quesada, San Carlos. Officials suspect a crack in the pipeline may have allowed the virus to enter the water supply. Residents are being asked to boil their water until repairs on the pipeline have been completed and the supply has been decontaminated.