If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): United Pet Group (Cincinnati, OH) has recalled a number of pet nutritional supplement products for dogs and cats due to possible Salmonella contamination, including products marketed under the brands Doctors Foster and Smith, Nature's Miracle, Petco, Excel, DDS, PR Excel, and Pro-Pet. These products were distributed through retailers nationwide, including the following: Kroger stores located in Texas and Louisiana, and Fred Meyer stores (DDS and Pro-Pet products); Doctors Foster and Smith (Doctors Foster and Smith products); Petco (Petco and Excel products); ShopRite (Pro-Pet products).
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Rocky Mountain Natural Meats (Henderson, CO) has recalled approximately 66,000 pounds of ground and tenderized steak bison products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled meat, which was distributed to retailers nationwide and to foodservice distributors in Utah and Arizona, has been linked to at least five cases of E. coli O157:H7 in Colorado. Following is a partial distribution list:
- The Kroger Company, including Kroger, Ralphs, Smith's Food and Drug, King Soopers, City Market, Fry's Food, Dillons, Baker's, Gerbes, and Food4Less Fremont stores: Great Range Fresh Ground Bison (16 oz. pkg); Great Range Bison Sirloin Steaks (12 oz.)
- Price Chopper: Great Range Ground Bison (1 lb. pkg; Sell by June 21, 22, 24); Great Range Bison Steak Medallions (12 oz. pkg; Sell by June 23, 24); Great Range Bison Sirloin Steak (12 oz. pkg; Sell by June 20, 23, 24)
- ShopRite: Great Range Brand Ground Bison; Great Range Brand Bison Steak Medallion; Great Range Brand Bison Sirloin Steak
- Whole Foods Market: Nature's Rancher Ground Buffalo, (16 oz. pkg; “sell or freeze by” June 22, 2010)
- Restaurants only: Rocky Mountain Natural Meats, Inc. Bison (15-lb boxes; 10-ounce sirloin steaks)
If you know of any other retailers who sold products covered by either of these recalls, please post the information in the Comments field for the benefit of other readers. Feel free to post anonymously.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.