If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: DeBoles Nutritional Foods, Inc. recalls DeBoles® Kids Only! Gluten Free Tubettini Corn Pasta (Lot Code 30JUN11D1) because it may contain undeclared whole wheat alphabet pasta. The recalled product was distributed to stores nationwide and through internet orders.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: J & H Besta Corp. (Hicksville, NY), recalls Joyful Slim Herb Supplement (lot code 101408) after being advised that FDA lab analysis of the supplement revealed the presence of undeclared Desmethyl Sibutramine.
- FDA Enforcement Action: US government seizes $39,000 worth of products labeled as cyanide antidote kits from Keystone Pharmaceuticals (Laguna Hills, CA). The cyanide antidote kits distributed by Keystone are unapproved new drugs under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and are therefore not permitted to be introduced into interstate commerce. The products have not been proven safe and effective for their intended use.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Bausch & Lomb recalls its PreserVision® Eye Vitamin AREDS 2 Formula with Omega 3 soft gels (Expiration Date 08/31/2011; Lot Codes 0923BK103, 0924BK103, 0924BK103A, 0925BK103A, 0926BK103A, 0927BK103A, 0928BK103A, 0929BK103A, 0930BK103A) after a small number of reports, predominantly within the age 70 and older age group, of difficulty swallowing or a choking sensation when taking the soft gel. The recalled products were distributed only in the USA.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Costco advises its customers that Dats Déli Européen All Beef Salami (# 240924) was sold in Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. stores. The product was one of several that were recalled by the manufacturer on July 21st due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Herbal Supplement Safety Recall: Lockerroom.net Marketing Inc (Delta, BC) recalls the unauthorized health product SX Male Enhancement, promoted as a male enhancement herbal supplement, because the product contains undeclared "acetildenafil", a substance similar to the prescription medication, sildenafil, and may pose serious and potentially life-threatening health risks, particularly to people with heart problems.
- Unauthorized Health Product Alert: Health Canada alerts consumers that certain health products manufactured and sold by Marigold Natural Pharmacy Ltd. may pose a risk to health and safety of Canadians. These products were made available to Canadians via the company's pharmacy in Courtenay, British Columbia and via their website. Marigold Natural Pharmacy Ltd. is not authorized to manufacture, package, label or import any drugs or natural health products in Canada.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Simco Chocolates Ltd. recalls Delicious Cherry brand filled chocolates (120g boxes; Lot L1003A; Best before 18-01-2011), because lab analysis revealed that the chocolates contain a high level of trans fats.
- Food Safety Recall (EU): Abbelen Fleischwaren GmbH & Co. KG (Tönisvorst, Germany) recalls Abbelen Hot Dogs (various Best Before dates beginning 07/31/10 and extending to 19/08/10), because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed in Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium, the United Kingdom, Finland, Poland, and Portugal.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Recall (France): AstraZeneca recalls Inexium, 10mg coated granules (lot MC 3208) packaged 28 sachets per box, because some of the sachets were poorly sealed.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (France): Government authorities have banned the sale of the unbranded toy "Angel Doll" because of the presence of the banned chemical phthalates DEHP et DINP.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0995): Aflatoxins in chestnut flour from Italy; distributed in France and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0996): Aflatoxins in shelled roasted pistachios from Italy, with raw material from Turkey, via Germany; distributed in Belgium, Italy, Malta, Spain and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0997): Clostridium botulinum type C and Campylobacter jejuni in frozen chicken giblets from the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0998): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts in shell from the United States, via Belgium; distributed in Luxembourg.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.0999): Undeclared sulphite in orange flavoured water based ice cream from Denmark; distributed in Denmark (Sun Lolly brand), Malta, the Netherlands, Norway and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1000): Incorrect "Best Before Date" on garlic and herbs liquid spice from Denmark; distributed in Denmark and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1001): Foreign body (12cm long nylon fishing line) in tuna in olive oil from Côte d'Ivoire; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1002): Captan (pesticide) in peaches from Turkey; distributed in the Czech Republic.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1003): Migration of cadmium from rim of decorated glass mugs from China, via Poland; distributed in Slovakia.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1006): Migration of primary aromatic amines from slotted spoon from China; distributed in Poland and the Russian Federation.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1007): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis simplex of marinated herrings from Ireland; distributed in Slovakia.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2010.1008): Unauthorized substance sibutramine in green coffee food supplement from the United States, via Hong Kong; distributed in Slovenia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Chinese Herbal Medicine Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns people who have purchased a Chinese herb called Rhizoma Atractylodis (蒼朮) from a licensed Chinese herbal medicine retailer in Sheung Wan, Wing Woo Hing (永和興), not to consume the herb as it was suspected to be contaminated with one or more unknown chemicals. A 79-year-old woman developed symptoms suggestive of atropine and scopolamine poisoning including slurring of speech, dizziness, generalized weakness and clumsiness 45 minutes after taking the herbal decoction.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.