If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Whole Foods Market's North Atlantic region recalls Morningland Dairy and Ozark Hills Farm Raw Goat Milk Mild Cheddar Cheese due to possible contamination by Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. These cheeses were sold in three Whole Foods Market stores: West Hartford Center and Glastonbury, Connecticut; and Hadley, Massachusetts. The cheese is packaged in plastic labeled with a Whole Foods scale label and sold as random weight size retail packages in the cheese department.
- Food Safety Recall: Good Taste Noodle Mfg. (Chicago, IL) recalls its "EGG NOODLES and WONTON SKINS, labeled with production date from June 19, 2010 to August 19, 2010", because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Recall: Food City advises its customers that C.F. Sauer has recalled Sauer's Pure Vanilla Extract, 2 oz. No reason is given for the recall.
- Pet Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Naturis recalls fresh/frozen Naturis Rund/Kip Compleet (Naturis beef/chicken complete) after routine testing reveals Salmonella in a sample of the pet food. The pet food sausages are labeled with an expiration date of 04-08-2011 and a control ID of PET100581. The company advises that, as a result of this incident, Naturis will carry out its own Salmonella control tests in order to ensure the future safety of its products. The recalled product was manufactured in Belgium and distributed in Belgium and the Netherlands. Naturis recommends that consumers who choose not to return the recalled product to the store should cook the sausages thoroughly before feeding them to their companion animals.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Jørn A Rullepølser A/S recalls Cocktail Sausages (1kg; Best before 26th September 2010; Lot No. 103420), due to an abnormal acidic odor. The recalled product was sold to wholesale establishments, butchers and meat establishments in Zealand and to Reitan Indkøb A/S, Horsens.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): ALDI K/S recalls Country Pleasure fresh turkey breast (Best Before 26-08-2010) after multi-drug resistant Salmonella was found in the product. The recalled turkey breasts were sold in Aldi stores in Denmark.
- Food Withdrawal (Finland): Casa Gusto Ltd. withdraws several lots of Italian LatBri Lattice Brianza SPA's cheeses, due to a possible quality violation. The product withdrawal covers several varieties of mozzarella, as well as mascarpone and frescocolle ricotta cheeses.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1196): Salmonella spp. in frozen broiler fillets from Argentina, via Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1197): Procymidone in green table grapes from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1198): Procymidone in grapes from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1199): Salmonella in fuet (dried sausage) from Spain; distributed to Portugal.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (China): Hunan Jinhao Camellia Oil Co Ltd has published an apology letter on its website to inform consumers that nine batches of the company's camellia oil (produced between December 2009 and March 2010) were found by authorities to contain excessive benzo(a)pyrene (a carcinogen) and were seized by local authorities and/or ordered recalled in March.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Maggie Beer Products recalls Maggie Beer Beef Stock, Chicken Stock & Vegetable Stock (500mL pouches; all best before dates up to and including 03 Jun 2011) due to possible contamination with bacterial pathogens. The recalled products were distributed throughout Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.