If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Midland Farms (Menands, NY) recalls certain milk products (date code SEP24 or SELLBY 9/24/10), after a September 7th inspection by New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets' milk inspectors found a failure of pasteurization equipment at the milk plant. The recall includes gallon, half-gallon, quart and pint-sized plastic containers of milk, sold under the Midland Farms, Corrado's Market, Jersey Dairy Farms and Trade Fair Premium brands. All of the milk containers are marked with plant code 36-1661, and a black ink date code near the top of the container. The recalled milk products were sold in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island.
- Food Safety Recall: Leadbetters Foods Inc. (Orillia, ON) recalls Leadbetters Cowboy Beef Burgers, because the product may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The burgers are sold frozen in 2.27Kg (5 lb) cartons containing 20 burgers (UPC 8 73587 00003 5; code 20169). The recalled beef burgers were sold only in Ontario. Four confirmed cases of E. coli O157:H7 illness have been linked to this meat.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (UK): Ella's Kitchen withdraws certain batches and date codes of Ella's Kitchen Stage 1 baby food and The Yellow One Smoothie Fruit because of possible microbial spoilage inside the straw of the packets. None of the microorganisms that have been identified are pathogenic.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Dansk Supermarked recalls Loving turkey (900g pack; produced 23/08/2010; expiry 04.9.2010), imported from Germany, because Salmonella was found in a sample of the turkey breast. The recalled product was sold in certain Net stores in Denmark (follow the live link for a list of affected stores).
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): JN MEAT Aps recalls smoked beef tenderloin (produced 26-08-2010; expiry date 30-09-2010), after Listeria is found in a sample of the product. The recalled beef was sold to canteens and caterers.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1214): Algae in spring water from Turkey; distributed to Denmark.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1215): Salmonella in processed animal protein from the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1216): Migration of chromium from steak knives set from Brazil; distributed to Slovenia.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1217): Migration of cadmium and of lead from glasses from China; distributed to Hungary and Slovenia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1218): Undeclared egg and traces of peanut in cake from Lithuania; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1219): Excessive nitrate content in spinach from the Netherlands; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1220): Unauthorised enrofloxacin in eggs from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1221): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis simplex of chilled angler (Lophius piscatorius) from the United Kingdom; distributed to Italy.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.