If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Anhing Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) recalls DaiJyoBu® Ginger Candy, imported from China (8 1/2" x 6" plastic bag containing 6 individually wrapped pieces of candy) after the California Department of Public Health finds more than twice the permitted level of lead allowed in candy products in California.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: D&D Distributing-Wholesale Inc. (Tacoma, WA) recalls Love Tester Mood Rings and Necklaces, because the metal rings and necklaces contain high levels of lead. The recalled jewelry, which was manufactured in China, was sold in small retail stores nationwide from September 2005 through June 2010.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Thumb Oilseed Producers' Cooperative (Ubly, MI) that a January/February 2010 inspection of its soy grit and soy flour manufacturing facility recovered Salmonella senftenberg in 43 areas within the manufacturing plant, rendering the firm's soy grit and soy flour products adulterated under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Inspectional Observations report (Form FDA 483) is available for review on the FDA web site.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Shah Distributors, Inc. (Gardena, CA) that a February/March 2010 of the company's facility revealed significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations for foods.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Lynas Food Service Ltd. (Coleraine, N. Ireland) recalls Springhill Pure Spring Water (batch code 15 Aug 2011) due to the presence of E. coli, an indicator of potential fecal contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): FinPesca s.r.l. initiates a precautionary recall of Sbissate mussels (Lot 10LP2606A and 10LP2607A) due to a possible food safety issue.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1248): Bacterial contamination of live clams (Tapes semidecussatus) from Italy; distributed to France, Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1249): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of fresh anglerfish (Lophius piscatorius) from the United Kingdom; distributed to Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1250): Salmonella Tennessee in rape seed meal from Germany; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1251): Escherichia coli in bottled spring water from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1252): Migration of formaldehyde from melamine plates from China, via Italy; distributed to Slovenia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1253): Milk protein in, and incorrect labeling on, non-dairy cream from Italy; distributed to Iceland.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1254): Migration of formaldehyde from melamine cup from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Slovenia.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1255): Migration of formaldehyde from ivory chopsticks from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1256): Aflatoxins in salted and roasted nuts and fruit mixture from the Netherlands; distributed in Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1257): Suspicion of fraudulent health certificate(s) for frozen baby clams from Turkey; distributed to Lithuania and Spain.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.