If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Allergy Alert: Red Lotus Bakery recalls Butter Cup Cakes (12-oz packages) because they may contain undeclared eggs.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Amgen recalls certain lots of EPOGEN® and PROCRIT® (Epoetin alfa) vials because the products may contain extremely thin glass flakes, known as lamellae. The recalled products were supplied to special distributors, wholesalers, pharmacies and healthcare providers.
- Food Recall: Food City advises that Better Oats Oat Heads Berry Blast (6.15 oz) has been recalled.
- Allergy Alert: Big Bob's Sausage & Deli (Regina, SK) recalls all lots of Big Bob's brand Polish Sausage, Ham Sausage, Smokies and Bratwurst, because the ready-to-eat deli meats contain wheat that is not declared on the label. The products were distributed in Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume certain raw oysters, because they may contain foodborne pathogens. The Alert covers Effingham XSM (extra small) raw oysters processed by Albion Fisheries Ltd., Vancouver, BC (5 dozen oysters/bag; Lot #172688 and 172929) and by Sea World Fisheries Ltd., Vancouver, BC (5 dozen oysters/bag; Code NY-OY-10091401). The processors have initiated a recall of the affected oysters. The raw oysters, which are known to have been distributed in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, may also have been sold in smaller quantities at some seafood counters. In addition, it is possible that the oysters were distributed in other provinces. There have been reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these raw oysters.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency urgently warns people not to consume Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS), which is being sold via the Internet as an oral supplement and is also known as Miracle Mineral Supplement. MMS is a 28% sodium chlorite solution, which is equivalent to industrial strength bleach. If diluted less than instructed, MMS can cause damage to the intestines and red blood cells, and potentially cause respiratory failure.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Crown-Foods A/S recalls Creme Fraiche Dressing Light, 500mL (five lots), because of gas formation due to elevated levels of lactic acid bacteria. The recalled product was supplied to Lidl & Bilka stores and Ove Wrist & Co. Ltd.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1281): Listeria monocytogenes in cooked chilled prawns (Penaeus vennamei) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1282): Unauthorised substance yohimbine and unauthorised use of colour E 127 - erythrosine in food supplement from the United States; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1283): Too high content of nitrate in spinach from the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1284): Cadmium in puntilla baby squid (Loligo spp) from India; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1285): Mercury in chilled swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1286): Salmonella Braenderup in liquid egg white from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1287): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in mussels (Mytilus spp) from Italy; distributed to Austria, Germany and Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Undeclared Prescription Medicine Recall (New Zealand): Medsafe orders the recall of all batches of six products, being promoted and sold in New Zealand as products to enhance sexual performance or treat erectile dysfunction, as the products contain significant quantities of undeclared prescription medicines. The affected products are: Shaguar, Signature Signergy, VIGRX (two formats), VigRx and VigRX Plus.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.