If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Sampco, Inc. (Chicago, IL) recalls approximately 258,000 pounds of cooked beef products that were imported from an ineligible Brazilian establishment. The establishment (Brazilian establishment SIF 337) was delisted by USDA on May 6, 2010 after repeat violative levels of the animal drug Ivermectin were confirmed in its products. The following products are being recalled after USDA/FSIS determined that these products were shipped into commerce despite the Brazilian firm's ineligible status. The eight recalled lots of product include 12-ounce cans of Libby Corned Beef (shipped to distribution centers in Florida and Pennsylvania), 7-ounce pouches of Brushy Creek Shredded Beef (shipped to distribution centers in Missouri, New Jersey and Ohio, 10-ounce Brushy Creek Roast Beef (shipped to distribution centers in California, Missouri, New Jersey and Texas, and 12-ounce cans of Kroger Corned Beef (shipped to distribution centers in Indiana). Each retail product package bears the legend "Brasil 337 S.I.F.," as well as "Product of Brazil" or "Packed under Brazilian Government Inspection."
- Food Safety Recall: Valley Farm Meats (Strasburg, OH) recalls Casing Wieners (Julian date 0203), Rope Sausage (Julian date 0207), Big Bologna (Julian date 0207), Dutch Loaf (Julian date 0221) and Ham and Cheese (Julian date 0222 and 0232), because of improper labeling. The recalled products were sold between June 12 and September 2, 2010 at Valley Farm Meats (Strasburg, OH) and Hickory Hill Meats (Marietta, OH).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Penguin Juice Company, Inc. (Westland, MI) that a March/April 2010 inspection of the company's juice processing facility revealed serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Hard-E-Foods, Inc. (St. Louis, MO) that a May 2010 inspection of the company's manufacturing facility revealed deviations from the Act and Regulations relating to the processing of certain acidified foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Unlimited Nutrition (Graham, NC) that a February 2010 inspection of the company's facility and a review of the firm's web site revealed that certain of the company's products were being marketed as dietary supplements in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Embrede SA (Guyaquil, Ecuador) that a May 2010 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Unauthorized Health Product Safety Recall: Health Canada announces the recall of E.O.D. Erection On Demand, an unauthorized health product, after tests of the product reveal the presence of undeclared tadalafil. The problem was brought to the attention of Health Canada via a consumer complaint regarding Kaytel Video's sale of the product. Health Canada is working with the Canada Border Services Agency to stop future importation of any shipments of E.O.D. Erection On Demand.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Aldi Stores Ltd. recalls Aldi Stonemill Ground Coriander, 40g (Best before 14 October 2012; batch 14.10.12 C2), because Salmonella was detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Mogens Eggers Eftf ApS recalls sliced pork (stegestykke), sold to wholesalers and caterers, after Salmonella was detected in a sample.
- Food Product Withdrawal (Ireland): Ella's Kitchen withdraws certain baby foods due to the possible presence of yeast growth within the feeding straw inside the pouch. The recalled baby foods were manufactured in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1229): Benzo(a)pyrene in whole smoked crayfish from Nigeria; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1230): Norovirus (genogroup I and II) in romaine lettuce from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1231): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled anglerfish (Lophius piscatorius) from the United Kingdom; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Chinese Herbal Medicine Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises consumers who have purchased any of two Chinese herbs, "Rhizoma et Radix Notopterygii" and "Radix Dipsaci", from a licensed Chinese herbal medicines retailer in North Point, American Ginseng Co., not to consume the herbs as they were found to be contaminated with aconitum alkaloids, which can be poisonous if consumed.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.