If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: McNeil Consumer Healthcare (Fort Washington, PA) recalls Tylenol® 8 Hour caplets 50 count bottles (Lot #BCM155; UPC 3 0045-0297-51 8) following the receipt of a number of complaints of a musty or moldy odor. The odor is thought to be caused by the presence of trace amounts of a chemical called 2,4,6-tribromoanisole. The recalled production lot was sold in the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Food Safety Recall: Valley Farm Meats, dba Strasburg Provision, Inc. (Strasburg, OH) recalls approximately 2,413 pounds of various ready-to-eat meats that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. This is an expansion of a previous recall, which was announced on October 5th and brings the total quantity of recalled meat to 3,600 pounds. The recalled products were sold in a number of retail outlets, grocery stores, restaurants and diners in the state of Ohio on or after June 1, 2010. Please follow the live link for details on the affected date codes and a list of the locations where the products may have been sold.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Blum's Spring Lake Fisheries (Potosi, WI) that an April/May 2010 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert: Henlong Oriental Gifts & Foods Co. Ltd. (Surrey, BC) recalls four Thai processed fruit and vegetable products, because the products contain undeclared sulphites. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia. Please follow the live link for a detailed list of the recalled items.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Felix Abba Oy withdraws Felix Cucumber Salad with Mustard, 390g (Best before 12/08/2012) because the product contains mustard, which is not declared correctly on the label.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Lidl Ireland GmbH recalls Family Favourite Plain Flour, 1.5Kg bag (Batch code 0190H3; Best before end March 2011), manufactured in the United Kingdom after several customers complained of finding one or two flour moth caterpillars in the flour.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1403 Update): Mercury in fresh greater amberjack (Seriola dumerili) from Croatia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1404): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis (larvae) of chilled hake (Merluccius merluccius) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1405): Aflatoxins in ground turmeric and whole nutmeg from India; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1406): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled scallops (Placopecten magellanicus) from the United States; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1407): Mercury in frozen sliced blue shark (Prionace glauca) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1408): Undeclared egg in instant onion soup from Greece; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1409): Prohibited substance chloramphenicol in shrimps (Penaeus vannamei) from India; distributed to Belgium.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1410): Undeclared egg in instant minestrone soup from Greece; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1411): Insect larvae infestation of flour from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1412): Histamine in canned sardines (Sardina pilchardus) from Morocco; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1413): Histamine in canned tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) from Thailand; distributed to the Czech Republic and Germany.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1414): Salmonella Mbandaka in rapeseed meal from Switzerland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1415): Histamine in vacuum packed chilled yellow fin tuna fillets from the Maldives; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1416): Carbon monoxide treatment of tuna (Thunnus alalunga) from Costa Rica; distributed to Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Singapore and Fiji): B.-d Farm Paris Creek recalls Paris Creek Tilsit Cheese,Paris Creek Cheddar Cheese, Paris Creek Gouda Cheese and Paris Creek Norwegino Cheese (all best before dates from 18/10/10 up to and including 26/01/11), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were manufactured in Australia and exported to Singapore and Fiji.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall: B.-d Farm Paris Creek recalls Paris Creek Tilsit Cheese, Paris Creek Cheddar Cheese, Paris Creek Gouda Cheese and Paris Creek Norwegino Cheese (all best before dates from 18/10/10 up to and including 26/01/11), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were sold in supermarkets and other food retail outlets throughout Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.