If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Allergy Alert: MY Place Deli Inc., d.b.a. Monika Polish Meat & Deli (Jackson Heights, NY) recalls Frubex brand Marinated Celery (9.5 oz. glass jars; product code 01-10-2010) due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was imported from Poland.
- Food Safety Recall (Retail Distribution): USDA publishes retail distribution list for ready-to-eat pork barbeque products recalled by The Murphy House due to possible Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Foremost Foods, International, Inc. (Pomona, CA) recalls certain Tomi brand dried seafood products because they have the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled products (follow the live link for a detailed list) were sold in California, Nevada and Washington State through Seafood City and Manila Seafood retail stores between September 23, 2009 and October 20, 2010.
- Food Safety Recall: Del Monte Fresh Produce N.A., Inc. recalls certain cantaloupes grown in and shipped from Arizona. The affected product was distributed to limited customers in and around Detroit, Michigan and is being recalled because these cantaloupes have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Please follow the live link for details.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: Western Milling, LLC (Goshen, CA) recalls certain types of store brand noncommercial turkey feed after the company learned that the feed may contain monensin, a medication included in medicated turkey feed. The turkey feed subject to this voluntary recall was not labeled as medicated and was not formulated to contain monensin. Products subject to this recall were distributed in May and June, 2010, to 57 retail animal feed stores located in California as well as eight feed stores in Arizona and one each in Nevada and Hawaii. All retail stores have been notified. The turkey feed was sold in 50-pound paper bags under the company's Universal and Kruse Perfection Brands.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Sødams Fjerkræslagteri ApS recalls Whole Organic Chicken (Slaughter date 18-10-2010) due to the presence of a high incidence of Campylobacter.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Løgismose Mejeri recalls Løgismose Organic Drinking Yogurt (best before 25.10.2010, 01.11.2010 and 08.11.2010), due to the growth of yeast in the product.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1426): Migration of 2-hydroxy-2-methylpropiophenone from and of 1-phenyl-2-butanone and unidentified colour in plastic drinking bottles from Italy; distributed to Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1427): High count of Escherichia coli in frozen clams (Venus spp) from Turkey, via Greece; distributed to Italy.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1428): Migration of formaldehyde and of melamine from kitchen utensils from Thailand, via Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1429): Altered organoleptic characteristics of fruit drinks from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1430): Altered organoleptic characteristics of croissants with strawberry filling from Germany; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1431): Undeclared gluten in garlic and onion flavoured extruded maize slices from the Czech Republic; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1432): Salmonella spp. in frog legs from Turkey, via Greece; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1433): Salmonella typhimurium in processed pork from Portugal; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1434): Salmonella group B in pork tongue from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1435): Undeclared gluten in soya slices from the Slovak Republic; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1437): 3-monochlor-1,2-propanediol (3-MCPD) in soy sauce from the Philippines; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1438): Undeclared gluten in soya flakes from the Slovak Republic; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1439): Growth hormone releasing peptide -2 (GHRP-2) in food supplement from the United States; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1440): Unauthorised substance ephedrine in food supplement from the United States; distributed to Cyprus.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1441): Migration of cadmium and of lead from decorated glass cup from China; distributed to Estonia, Poland and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1442): Methomyl in green table grapes from Turkey; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1443): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis (dead nematode larvae) of frozen hake (Merluccius hubbisi) from Spain; distributed to Lithuania and the United Kingdom.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1444): Migration of primary aromatic amines from kitchen utensils from China, via Portugal; distributed to France.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Brandlines Limited recalls SRS Wicked Fizz Sour Head Lickers candy (60mL can), following the discovery that this product presents a choking hazard to children, as the dispenser roller ball may dislodge if the bottle is squeezed. All Wicked Fizz Sour Head Lickers from batch 090720 should not be consumed. The recalled products were sold in dairies and shops throughout New Zealand.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Three brands of imported coffee and chocolate – marketed as slimming foods – have been recalled by the importers after they were found to contain sibutramine, a prescription medicine not permitted in foods. The recalled products are: Moti Angel Coffee, Sumabe Acai Berry Coffee and Leptin Weight Loss Chocolate.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.