If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Allergy Alert: The Pictsweet Company recalls Pictsweet Breaded Okra, 32 oz. bag (Production codes 1400B, 1550B, 1660B, 1730B, 1870B, 2030B, 2350B and 2500B), because the product contains an undeclared milk component in the breading. The recalled product was sold in Food Lion, Harvey's, Reids, Bottom Dollar Food, Bloom and Super1Foods stores and may also have been available in other grocery stores.
- Food Safety Alert: New York State Agriculture Commissioner warns consumers not to eat Dried Vobla Fish (Astrakhanskaya) sold by Ocean Side Pharmacy Inc. (Brooklyn, NY), because the product was found to be uneviscerated. The Dried Vobla Fish (Astrakhanskaya) was sold from the above retail store to consumers in the NYC Metro area and to two wholesale accounts, one in California and one in Massachusetts. The product was offered for sale at ambient temperature as an unpackaged, uncoded, bulk item. Uneviscerated processed fish is prohibited in New York state because Clostridium botulinum spores are more likely to be concentrated in the viscera than any other portion of the fish. Uneviscerated fish has been linked to botulism outbreaks in the past.
- Allergy Alert: Goddess Gourmet (Toronto, ON) recalls M-Bar brand Organic Chocolate-Coconut Bars (70g bar; UPC 0 99999 11001 2; Best before dates NOV-25 and DEC-7), because the product contains peanuts which are not declared on the label. The affected product was distributed in the Greater Toronto Area (Ontario). One allergic reaction has been reported in association with the recalled product.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1378): Mercury in swordfish fillets with skin (Xiphias gladius) from Chile; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1379): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen cooked chicken from China; distributed to Ireland, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1380): Parasitic infestation (oryzaephilus surinamensis) of wheat from Lithuania; distributed to Latvia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1381): Mercury in chilled swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1382): Mercury in sword steaks from Sri Lanka; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.