If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Allergy Alert (Update): The Pictsweet Company (Bells, TN) recalls specific lots of Pictsweet 32 ounce Clear Bag Breaded Okra because they contain undeclared milk product. The recalled production codes begin with the following five digits: 1400B, 1550B, 1660B, 1730B, 1870B, 2030B, 2350B, 2500B, and were distributed to retailers primarily in the Southeast USA, including Food Lion, Harveys, Reids, Bottom Dollar, Bloom, Brookshire's, and Super1Foods.
- Food Safety Recall: Kroger recalls Kroger Frozen Green Peas, 12 oz., and Kroger Frozen Peas & Carrots, 12 oz., because some of the packages may contain particles of glass. The recalled frozen products were sold in Kroger stores located in Greater Louisville (including Indiana), Lexington, and Nashville, TN, Greater Memphis, TN, Arkansas, Mississippi and Western Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, Eastern WV, Eastern Kentucky, SE Ohio, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Food Safety Alert/Recall: Candy El Pecas (Chula Vista, CA) recalls Candy El Pecas Saladitos con Chile and Candy El Pecas Saladitos con Limon. Both candy products were imported from China, and were recalled after the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) found that they contained elevated levels of lead. CDPH warns consumers to discard these products, as their consumption could result in a lead exposure that exceeds the maximum legal limit by as much as seven times. Pregnant women and parents of children who may have consumed this candy should consult their physician or health care provider to determine if medical testing is needed.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Delhaize withdraws five products from sale because they contain undeclared gluten, and/or soy protein. The affected products are: Delhaize Vegetarian Mushroom Oyster Sauce (200mL bottle, imported from Thailand), Delhaize Sweet Soy Sauce (200mL bottle), Delhaize Supreme Dark Soy Sauce (200mL bottle, imported from Thailand), Delhaize Instant Noodles Shrimp Flavour (60g package, imported from Thailand) and Delhaize Instant Noodles Shrimp Flavour (70g cup, imported from Thailand).
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Royal Greenland Seafood recalls Royal Greenland brand Smoked Halibut, 100g pack (Best before 18.10.2010), because there is evidence of Listeria monocytogenes in the product.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1383): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled mackerel (Scomber scombrus) from France; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1384): Salmonella in frozen whole chicken from Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1385): Too high content of benzoic acid, caffeine and sorbic acid, in and risk of overdosage with nicotinic acid from consuming, energy drink from the United States, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1386): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in mussels from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1387): Cadmium in horse meat from Poland; distributed to Italy and Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1388): Too high content of sulphite in salty crackers with paprika flavour from Hungary; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1389): Too high content of sulphite in salty crackers from Hungary; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1390): Aflatoxins in sesame paste (Halawa) with pistachio nuts from the United Arab Emirates, via Lebanon and via Syria; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1391): Lambda-cyhalothrin in grapes from Turkey; distributed to Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1392): Fragments of bones of land animals in hydrolysed feather meal & fishmeal analogue from Italy; distributed to Greece and Macedonia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1393): Benzo(a)pyrene in sea-buckthorn oil from Ukraine, via the United Arab Emirates; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1394): Ochratoxin A in paprika from Spain; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1395): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in fresh raw mussels (Mitylus galloprovoncialis) from Italy; distributed to Italy and Slovenia.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Raffles Healthy Foods recalls all Best Before dates of Vitality Bakehouse Chocolate Mink Cookies Gluten-free, 210g and Vitality Bakehouse Vanilla Honey Cookies Gluten-free, 210g after lab testing detects the presence of gluten in the cookies. The recalled products were manufactured in Australia and sold in the ACT, New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Alex Importers recalls El Helwa Tahini (908g plastic jar; Best before December 2011), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled Tahini was sold only in Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.