If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Valley Farm Meats, DBA Strasburg Provision, Inc. (Strasburg, OH) recalls approximately 1,187 pounds of ready-to-eat meats that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products include Trail Bologna, Prepared for Abel's Cheese Trail Bologna, Smoked Snack Sticks and Smoked Sliced Bacon (Ohio Dept. of Agr. inspection mark & Est. 80; produced between Sept 21 and Sept 22, 2010; may display Julian date of 265, 266 or 267 or a calendar date of Sept. 9, 2010 or Sept. 10, 2010). The products were offered for sale on or after Sept 22, 2010 at Valley Farm Meats (Strasburg, OH), Abels Cheese (Sardis, OH), D & B (Canton, OH) and Strasburg Meats (Canton, OH).
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Tabletops Unlimited, Inc. recalls various sizes and colors of Castalon Frying Pans, because the enamel coating can crack and break off after a few uses, posing a burn hazard.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1349): Salmonella in frozen sow tenderloin from Spain; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1350): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts from Germany, with raw material from Iran; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1351): Salmonella in raw frozen chicken cuttlets from Estonia; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1352): Carbon monoxide treatment of frozen tilapia fillets from China, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1353): Unauthorised substance sildenafil in coffee drink from China and Hong Kong; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1354): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) from Italy; distributed to Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1355): Acetamiprid in aubergines (eggplants) from the Dominican Republic; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1356): 3-monochlor-1,2-propanediol (3-MCPD) in soy sauce from the Philippines; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1357): Dioxins in calcium iodate from Canada; distributed to Austria, Belgium and Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Universal Pharmaceutical Laboratories Limited recalls four batches of tablets from one production line after a metal wire was found in one tablet of its product, Bronco-DM tablets.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Bacchus Marsh Food Works recalls a number of baked goods (all Best Before dates up to and including 07/10/10) because the baked goods contain egg, which is not declared on the label. The recalled products were sold at Food Works Bacchus Marsh, Food Works Kilmore and Food Works Gisborne in Victoria. No other Food Works stores are affected.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (Australia): Liberty Distributors recalls Carlo Di Roma Brown Mascara (UPC 8436002470831; Batch no. 1204) because the product contains the chemical N-nitrosodiethanolamine, a human carcinogen. The recalled item was sold at Giant Chemist Harbour Town and Giant Chemist Pacific Fair in Queensland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.