If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Food Safety Recall: Aux Purs Délices (Verdun, QC) recalls its Sauce à la viande (meat sauce) and Sauce à la viande épicée (spicy meat sauce), because the product labels do not display the instruction "Garder réfrigéré" (Keep refrigerated). The products were sold from a refrigerated display case in 500mL and 1,000mL glass jars. The public is warned to discard the meat sauces if they have not been stored in the refrigerator at all times.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Novo Nordisk Canada Inc. recalls GlucaGen Hypokit (lot #YW60462) after a quality issue was identified that may affect a small number of kits. This recall is in addition to the recall of two lots of the same product announced in August. In the recalled lot, some of the glass vials containing the active ingredient glucagon have been found to be cracked or broken. Use of a cracked vial may result in glucagon fluid leakage and may make the product unusable, which could result in treatment delays if no back-up kit is readily available, and potential health risks.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden and Denmark): Lantmännen Cerealia withdraws nine Golden Eagle brand cake mixtures after some Danish customers experience an allergic reaction. The source of the allergic reactions was determined to be the presence in the mixes of undeclared hydrolyzed wheat protein.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Denmark and Sweden): Denmark's Food Administration warns consumers against buying Elsinore pills, sold from the Sweden-based website helsingorpille.dk. Elsinore pills contain both synefrin and caffeine. These two ingredients, when taken in combination, can cause very serious central nervous system and cardiovascular side effects.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1471): Escherichia coli in frozen spinach from Belgium; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1472): Bacillus cereus and Salmonella spp. in ground cumin from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1473): Methomyl in pomegranates from Egypt, via Latvia; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1474): Histamine in marinated herring with cherry from Poland; distributed to Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1475): Migration of cadmium and of lead from rim of decorated glasses from Turkey; distributed to Poland.
Australia and New Zealand
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Australia and New Zealand): Johnson & Johnson Pacific Pty Ltd recalls selected lots of 1-Day ACUVUE TruEye Contact Lenses (lot numbers beginning with one of the following sequences: 492405, 492439, 492441, 492443, 492445, 492452, 492453, 492460, 502111, 502167). The recall is due to the failure in one of the manufacturing line's rinsing procedure that could leave a small amount of residue on the contact lens. The residue has the potential to cause irritation on insertion of the contact lens.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.