If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Elie Baking Corp dba Near East Baking Corporation (Brockton, MA) recalls Food City brand Low Carb Tortilla White (13.5 oz., 10 count) and Food City brand Low Carb Tortilla Whole Wheat (13.5 oz., 10 count) due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled products are identified with MFG Date 07/21/10 and MFG Date 07/22/10, and were distributed in Food City retail stores in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee.
- Allergy Alert: Sunny Lake Trading Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Golden Bridge dried dates due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled dates were manufactured in China and sold in the New York City metropolitan area in uncoded 12-ounce clear plastic bags.
- Allergy Alert: Moonstruck Chocolate Co. (Portland, OR) recalls their 4 piece Cream Cone Chocolate Truffle Collection and the 12 piece Chocolate Malted (or Malt) Cream Cone Chocolate Truffles (best before 11/2/2010 through 11/15/2010 for both products), because they may contain undeclared peanut butter. The products were sold through Moonstruck Company-owned Moonstruck Chocolate Cafés, direct delivery from moonstruckchocolate.com, and through various retailers nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Cook County, IL Department of Public Health is warning the public about a Salmonella Newport outbreak linked to pickles sold in plastic bags at the deli section of the Assi Market in Niles, IL. Six laboratory-confirmed cases have been reported; five of the victims were hospitalized. The contaminated batch of pickles was available for purchase from July 25, 2010 through July 27, 2010, with a sell by date of August 24, 2010. Anyone who purchased the pickles should contact the Cook County Department of Public Health.
- Food Safety Recall (Eggs): Dutch Farms Inc. reports that some of the Wright County Egg products recalled due to Salmonella Enteritidis were packaged without authorization under the Dutch Farms name. The unauthorized Dutch Farm eggs were distributed to Walgreens in Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, South Dakota and Arkansas.
- Food Safety Recall (Eggs): Wright County Egg expands its nationwide recall of shell eggs to include additional brand names and production dates from plant numbers 1720 and 1942. Please refer to the eFoodAlert consolidated egg recall list for details on the shell egg recall. Some of the eggs were supplied to U.S. Foodservice (Monarch Food Group division) for redistribution.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Umpqua Dairy Products Co. (Roseburg, OR) recalls Umpqua Dairy brand milk, half-and-half, cream, buttermilk, gallon orange juice and fruit drinks because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed in Oregon, southwest Washington and northern California. The recall comes after 23 people in Oregon were confirmed to have been infected with a single strain of Salmonella Braenderup. Two of the victims were hospitalized. Umpqua has suspended operations at its Roseburg, OR production facility and is working with Oregon public health and agriculture officials to review its processing systems. The first cases in this outbreak was reported in October 2009, and has unfolded slowly, according to Oregon Public Health.
- Food Safety Recall: NY Fish Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls NY Fish Brand (cold) Smoked Herring because the product was not eviscerated prior to processing. Uneviscerated fish represent a heightened risk of Clostridium botulinum contamination. The recalled fish was sold in New York State, packaged in plastic vacuum bags with code number 141.
- Unapproved Drug Safety Recall: Glow Industries, Inc. (Perrysburg, OH) recalls Mr. Magic Male Enhancer from Don Wands, after FDA lab analysis detects Hydroxythiohomosildenafil and Sulfoaildenafil, an analogue of Sildenafil, an FDA-approved drug used in the treatment of male Erectile Dysfunction (ED), making Mr. Magic Male Enhancer an unapproved new drug. Neither of the sildenafil analogues were listed on the product label. The undeclared active ingredients may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs and may lower blood pressure to dangerous levels.
- Herbal Supplement Safety Recall: J & H Besta Corp (Hicksville, NY) expands its earlier recall of Slim-30 Herb Supplement to include Lot #6032101, after FDA lab analysis detects Desmethyl Sibutramine (an analogue of the appetite suppressant drug Sibutramine) that was not declared on the product label. The recalled product was sold to distributors and retail stores nationwide and via the Internet.
- Unapproved Drug Safety Recall/Health Advisory: Health Canada warns Canadian consumers that an unauthorized health product, "SeXXX DRIVE", promoted as a herbal supplement to enhance male sexual performance, was found by Health Canada to contain undeclared "hydroxyhomosildenafil", a substance similar to the prescription medication sildenafil that may pose serious and potentially life-threatening health risks, particularly to people with heart problems. SeXXX DRIVE was sold across Canada by Lockerroom.net Marketing Inc., AJP Enterprises and Coast to Coast Video Sales.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1137 and #2010.1138): Omethoate and dimethoate in fresh peaches from Malta; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1139): Histamine in chilled yellow fin tuna fillets from the Maldives; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1140): Glass fragments in green olive salad from Turkey, via Germany; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1141): Unauthorized benzoic acid in palm sugar from Thailand, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert: Sunfield Australia Pty Ltd recalls several varieties of Sunfield Cakes (550g cakes in plastic heat sealed bags; all Use By dates up to and including 20/10/2010), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled Sunfield 550g Cakes were distributed only in New South Wales.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.