If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Valley Meat Company (Modesto, CA) recalls approximately one million pounds of frozen ground beef patties and bulk ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, after meat produced by this company was linked to seven confirmed cases of E. coli O157:H7 infections in the state of California. The recalled ground beef products were distributed to retail outlets and institutional food service providers in California, Texas, Oregon, Arizona and internationally. Among the recalled brands are Safeway, Hearst, Black Angus Burger, Bigger Valley Burger, and Smashburger. USDA anticipates posting a retail distribution list (which does not include restaurants and food service establishments) once the information becomes available. Valley Meat ground beef products are also available over the Internet from some on-line grocers, including SuperMarket Express.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City advises its customers that Gunnoe Coleslaw (12 oz. and 24 oz. sizes) has been recalled. No reasons have been given for the action.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Thailandia Imports recalls Chili sauce, ketchup (435 ml bottle; batch #02092011; Best before 02-09-2011), because the product contains the dye erythrosine, which is not declared on the label. Erythrosine can cause an allergic reaction in sensitive individuals.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Scandinavian Sweet Center recalls Baby Doll Lollipops, pkg of 4 colors (produced in Argentina by LHERITIER Argentina SA) because the orange lollipops contain the dye norbixin E160, which is not permitted in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1075): Unauthorised enrofloxacin in flower honey from Poland; distributed in Slovakia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1076): Traces of milk ingredient (casein) in strawberry water ice cream from Greece; distributed in Greece and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU# 2010.1077): Escherichia coli in mozzarella from Italy; distributed in Greece and Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1078): Cadmium in Scyllarides arctus from Senegal; distributed in France.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong and Macau): Singapore Medicine Co. recalls the Chinese medicine product named "Hai Keow Yu" (batch no. SA20411), because the total microbial count of the product was found to have exceeded the maximum permitted limit by Macau Health Bureau during a recent market surveillance.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Cottage Cheese Farm Pty Ltd recalls all sizes of various cheese products, due to inadequate pasteurization of the milk that was used to produce the recalled cheeses. The recalled products were distributed in Victoria only.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.