If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert (Retail Distribution List): USDA releases retail distribution list for Brunswick stew products recalled by The Murphy House due to the presence of undeclared wheat and milk.
- Food Safety Alert: USDA issues a public health alert for various ready-to-eat deli meat products because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The potentially contaminated meats were produced in Canada by Zadi Foods Ltd. of Brampton, Ontario (Canadian Est. No. 665) and may have been exported to the United States.
- Food Safety Recall: Vaughan Foods (Moore, OK) recalls romaine lettuce with “use‐by” dates of May 9 and May 10, because the lettuce may be contaminated with E. coli O145. Vaughan supplied the recalled lettuce to restaurants and food service facilities.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Olsen Fish Company that a December 2009 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Claire's Boutiques Inc. (Hoffman Estates, IL) recalls "Best Friends" children's Charm Bracelet Sets, manufactured by Dae Yeon Industries Corp., of China, because the heart lock charms attached to the bracelets contain high levels of cadmium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0565): Altered organoleptic characteristics of dried apricots from Turkey infested with yeasts; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0566): Chlormequat in table grapes from India, via the Slovak Republic; distributed in Hungary.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0567): Risk of internal injuries as a result of the use of a serving tong from Hong Kong; distributed in Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0568): Ochratoxin A in sweet paprika powder from Spain; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0569): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in oysters (Crassostrea gigas and Ostrea edulis) from France; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0570): Salmonella Brunei in frozen cocktail shrimps from Bangladesh, packaged in Italy; distributed in Austria.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Herbal Medicine Safety Alert (Hong Kong): Department of Health advises that contaminated Rhizoma Ligustici obtained from Hospital Authority (HA)'s Yan Chai Chinese Medicine Clinic is likely to be responsible for a case of aconitine poisoning.
- Food Safety Alert (Kenya): Government of Kenya warns that the National Cereals and Produce Board may have purchased contaminated maize from farmers after samples collected from maize depots in at least 14 districts in Eastern and Coast Provinces were found to contain intolerable levels of aflotoxin raising fears of a serious health risk.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.