If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Andrew Smith Co. (Spreckels, CA) recalls 1000 cases of lettuce after tests showed the presence of E. coli in a bag of romaine lettuce. The lettuce was harvested from the same Yuma (Arizona) farm that is suspected to be the source of the three-state E. coli O145 foodborne disease outbreak. Andrew Smith Co. supplied the recalled lettuce to two foodservice processors. The E. coli strain found in the Andrew Smith Co. lettuce is different from the E. coli O145 outbreak strain.
- Food Safety Recall (Retail Distribution Update): USDA releases retail distribution list for E. coli O157:H7-contaminated beef trim recalled by Beltex Corporation. The recalled meat was supplied to retailers in Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Vermont.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Noxubee County Producers Inc., dba Superior Fish Products (Macon, MS) that a December 2009 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Pierre Fabre Medicament Production - Aquitaine Pharm International 2 (Idron, France) that a September 2009 inspection of the company's manufacturing facility revealed significant violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals.
- Food Safety Recall: Cuisine Bern-Art Inc. (LaSalle, QC) recalls Cuisine Bernart Chicken Supreme and Cuisine Bernart Chicken Brochette meals (all best before dates up to and including 11MA10) because the products may be contaminated withListeria monocytogenes. The recalled items were sold only in the province of Québec.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Deejay Jewellery Inc. (Montreal, QC) recallsNecklace with Heart-shaped Pendants and Bracelet with Peace Sign Charm, because the items, which were made in Hong Kong, contain lead in excess of the allowable limit.
- FDA Warning Letter (France): FDA warns Pierre Fabre Medicament Production - Aquitaine Pharm International 2 (Idron, France) that a September 2009 inspection of the company's manufacturing facility revealed significant violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0571): Suffocation risk as a result of the consumption of and E 407 - carrageenan unauthorised in mini cup jellies from Malaysia, via the Netherlands; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0572): Too high content of sulphite in nut and fruit mixture from Italy; distributed in Finland.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0573): Salmonella Cerro and Salmonella Havana in dog chews from Thailand; distributed in the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0574): Escherichia coli in mussels from Ireland; distributed in France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0575): Foreign body in canned sweet corn from France; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0576): Parasitic infestation with nematodes (larvae) of chilled hakes (Merluccius merluccius) from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0577): Chlormequat (pesticide) in grapes from India, via the Netherlands; distributed in Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0578): Escherichia coli in clams (Chamelea gallina) from Italy; distributed in Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0579): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon fillets from Lithuania; distributed in France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.0580): Undeclared celery in chicken flavouredinstant noodle soup from Vietnam, via the Czech Republic; distributed in Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0581): Ethion (pesticide) in fresh yellow paprika from Spain; distributed in Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Department of Healthwarns consumers to avoid using a proprietary Chinese medicine for relieving joint pain called Zhuanggu Guangjie Wan (壯骨關節丸) with provisional registration number HKP-05345, because the medicine contains undeclared psoralen and iso-psoralen.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.