If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. recalls approximately 24,000 dozen eggs, which where purchased from Ohio Fresh Eggs, LLC (Croton, OH) and re-packaged at Cal-Maine's Green Forest, Arkansas facility between October 9th and October 12th, 2010. Cal-Maine initiated the recall immediately after learning that the Ohio Fresh Egg facility had a routine environmental sample that tested positive for Salmonella Enteritidis. The recalled eggs are labeled with Plant Number 1457 and a Julian Date of 282, 284 or 285, and were distributed under the Sunny Meadow, Springfield Grocer, and James Farm brands to food wholesalers and retailers in Arkansas, California, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall: APPA Fine Foods (Corona, CA) recalls approximately 7,325 pounds of Spicy Thai Style Pasta Salad, 12 oz. (Est. No. P-21030; Use by Oct 31 or Nov. 1-6, 2010) because they contain cilantro that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled pasta salad was sold to Trader Joe's for distribution in the retailer's California stores. In addition, the product was available in one Trader Joe's location each in Tucson, Arizona and in Reno and Carson City, Nevada.
- Food Safety Recall: Trader Joe's alerts its customers to a recall of Cilantro Dressing (sell by 2/9/2011), Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette (sell by 1/9/2011), Cilantro Pecan Dip (sell by 11/20/2010 and 11/24/2010) and Spicy Thai Pasta Salad (sell by 10/30/2010 through 11/6/2010). The cilantro ingredient in these products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The Pasta Salad was sold in California stores only. The Cilantro Pecan Dip was sold in Trader Joe's stores in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. The Cilantro Dressing and the Vinaigrette were available in all Trader Joe's, nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall (Retail Distribution): USDA posts retail distribution list for canned meat and poultry products that were recalled by Eickman's Processing due to underprocessing. The recalled products were distributed to retailers in Illinois, only.
- Food Safety Recall: Baugher Enterprise, Inc. (Westminster, MD), is recalling all production of Baugher's Apple Cider because it may be contaminated with Escherichia coli O157:H7. The recalled cider is sold in gallon and one-half gallon plastic jugs in retail stores in Maryland and the Gettysburg area of Pennsylvania. Consumption of the recalled product may be linked to a cluster of seven E. coli O157:H7 infections; three victims have been hospitalized.
- Food Safety Recall: Publix advises customers that Abbott Nutrition has recalled Similac Sensitive for Spit-Up™ powdered infant formula (12.3 oz cans, Lot No. 92957RB70). This product was involved in the original recall, but was released inadvertently by Abbott for sale.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Giant Food Stores advises customers that the manufacturer has recalled Chlor-Trimeton Allergy 12 Hour ER Tablets (UPC 4110080735), after stability test results were determined to be out of specification.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Advisory: Rhode Island Department of Health advises the public that decorative contact lenses being sold without prescription may produce corneal abrasions and temporary vision impairment. The Department of Health has confiscated decorative contact lenses from retail locations that were selling the product without a prescription.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Marathon Foods recalls Anthos sultanas (350g; all best before dates between 3 July 2011 and 9 February 2010), because they contain undeclared sulphur dioxide.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Beechvale Waters expands its earlier recall to include some 19 liter plastic containers for water dispensers, due to possible presence of E. coli. The recalled bottled water originated in the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): The Food Safety Authority of Ireland advises the public that a product recall is being carried out on all batches of Sokolów Home Black Pudding Sausage and Grill Black Pudding Sausage, due to the detection of high levels of Listeria monocytogenes in the products. The recalled products were imported from Poland and distributed to two wholesalers in Ireland.
- Allergy Alert Safety Notification (EU #2010.1512): Undeclared fish in frozen paella from Sweden; distributed to the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1513): Aflatoxins in ginger from Nigeria, via Germany; distributed to Poland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) warns that Nab'a Potable Water, produced by Nab'a Health Potable Water Plant of Tabuk and Al Khalidiyah Potable Water, produced by Al Khalidiyah Water Plant in Al Kharj province have exceeded the maximum permitted level of bromate. SFDA has requested that steps be taken to halt production at both plants and to recall the products from the market until the problem has been rectified.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.