If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: Orval Kent Food Company, Inc. recalls 23 products containing fresh cilantro, because the cilantro may be contaminated with Salmonella. The suspect cilantro (Lot #6127R) was produced and distributed by EpicVeg, Inc. (Lompoc, CA) and was recalled by the producer on November 3rd. EpicVeg, Inc. the the cilantro to Field Fresh Foods, a produce supplier to Orval Kent. The recalled items (please navigate to the recall notice via the live link) includes products sold under the Bistro 28, CA Pizza Kitchen, Chef Solutions, Fish House Foods, Fry's, Orval Kent and Trader Joe's brand names. The recalled products were supplied to retail stores nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall (Eggs): Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. (Jackson, MS) recalls shell eggs after receiving notification from FDA that Ohio Fresh Eggs, LLC (Croton, OH) – a supplier to Cal-Maine – had a routine environmental study sample that tested positive for Salmonella Enteritis. The recalled eggs (Plant #P1457; Julian dates 242, 284 and/or 285) were repackaged under the Sunny Meadow, Springfield Grocer, Sun Valley and James Farm brand names, and distributed to food wholesalers and retailers in Arkansas, California, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. At least some of the eggs (Sunny Meadow) were supplied to Walmart. Springfield Grocer is a foodservice distributor.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Chan Yat Hing Medicine FTYrecalls the topical proprietary Chinese medicine called Loong Fung Trade Mark Singapore Chi Len Chun Fung Oil, because the product was found to contain trace amounts of the western medicine, aspirin. Some of the recalled product was sold in Hong Kong, and some was exported to the USA.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kreatina A/S recalls Sliced Sausage (100g; packed 20-10-2010; best before 21-11-2010), sold at SuperBest stores, because the sausage may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1514): Histamine in salted and dried skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) from Sri Lanka; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1515): Triazophos in okra from India; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1516): Bulging packaging of stoneless prunes from Hungary; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1517): Triazophos and bifenthrin in curry leaves from India; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1518): Histamine in canned tuna in dressing from Thailand; notification from Germany and distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1519): Bad traceability records for horse meat from Denmark; distributed to Denmark and France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1520): Ochratoxin A in grilled pistachio nuts from Belgium, with raw material from Iran; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1521): Carbofuran in hairy basil from Thailand; distributed to the Netherlands.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Chan Yat Hing Medicine FTY recalls the topical proprietary Chinese medicine called Loong Fung Trade Mark Singapore Chi Len Chun Fung Oil, because the product was found to contain trace amounts of the western medicine, aspirin. Some of the recalled product was sold in Hong Kong, and some was exported to the USA.
Australia and New Zealand
- Prescription Pharmaceutical Safety Recall (Australia): Apotex Pty Ltd. urgently recalls APO-Perindopril, 2mg tablets in blister packs of 30 tablets, because some of the cartons that are labeled as 2mg tablets may contain 8mg tablets. The affected batch numbers are 24967 & 24979 (expiry date April 2013) and 25180 & 25184 (expiry date May 2013). Perindopril is used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.