If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Public Health Alert (Update): The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is expanding its Oct. 30 public health alert for an undetermined amount of various meat and poultry products produced without the benefit of federal inspection by N.Y. Gourmet Salads Inc., a Brooklyn, N.Y. establishment. Additional products have been added to the expanded alert. The implicated products were produced between March 11, 2010, and Oct. 29, 2010, and were distributed to retail establishments in New York.
- Food Safety Recall: Trans Asian Food Center (from Australia) recalls Ego Sour Plum candy (manufactured by Kee Wee Hip Kee Trading in Malaysia and imported from China by Trans Asian) after tests conducted by the California Department of Public Health found unacceptable levels of lead in the candy.
- Food Safety Recall: Schaller Mfg Corp recalls S&W Oldenburger Liver Pate, 8oz (UPC 7-53633-00204; Sell by 01-26-11) because the product appears to be undercooked and has a sour taste.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Intelli Health Products (Miami, FL) recalls Duro Extend Capsules for Men, marketed as dietary supplements, after FDA finds sulfoaidenafil (an analogue of the prescription erectile dysfunction drug, sildenafil) in the capsules.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Connecticut Consumer Protection Commissioner has filed complaints against Sleepline Industries, Inc. (Union, NJ) and Sanidown Incorporated (New York, NY) ,alleging that the two manufacturers of bedding and upholstered furniture sold bed pillows in the state without proper sanitation, and with mislabeled filling contents, causing a potential health risk, and engaging in a deceptive business practice.
- Food Safety Recall: Thrifty Foods Tsawwassen (Tsawwassen, BC) recalls barbecue chicken, pre-cooked chicken pot pies and pre-cooked broccoli pot pies produced and sold at the store on November 1, 2010 (Best before November 2, 2010), because the products may have come in contact with a chemical contaminant.
- Prescription Drug Safety Alert: Health Canada is informing Canadians about the potential dangers of buying prescription drugs online from the following websites: www.northdrugmart.com, www.northdrugstore.com and www.pharmacyrxworld.com. Health Canada has identified prescription drugs for sale on these websites that have not been authorized for sale in Canada. These products contain references to brand names and resemble drugs that have been authorized for sale in Canada. As such, Health Canada suspects these products are counterfeit.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): granoVita UK Ltd recalls granoVita Nut Luncheon, 420g (Best before 28/06/2013), due to spoilage and possible microbiological contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): All Sokolów brand Home Black Pudding Sausage and Grill Black Pudding Sausage are being recalled as a precautionary measure, because more batches of the products have been found to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The Food Standards Agency has issued an updated Food Alert for Action. The products are from Poland, where ongoing investigations are being carried out by the Polish authorities. The manufacturer has been told to carry out cleaning and disinfection of relevant production departments and to carry out environmental and food sampling for the presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The Polish authorities have prohibited further marketing of the affected product.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): John W. Halla Ltd. (Helsinki) recalls Figaro brand sliced black olives (340g net/180g drained; packaged in glass jars; best before 04/19/2013; imported from Spain), because the product may contain small pieces of glass. The affected product was supplied only to Inex Partners Oy, which has removed the products from the shelves of S Group Shops.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Lejos Oy recalls Sunsweet pitted prunes (2oog bags; best before 01/12 and 02/12) because some of the bags are bulging.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1495): Aflatoxins in paprika powder from Spain, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1496): Aflatoxins and ochratoxin A in paprika powder from Peru, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Switzerland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1497): Undeclared peanut in cashew cookies from the United Kingdom; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1498): Verotoxin producing Escherichia coli in cheese made from raw milk from France; distributed to Germany.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1499): Migration of primary aromatic amines from nylon slotted spoons from China, via India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1500): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong and Macao): Karen Laboratories (Hong Kong) recalls all batches of Madame Pearl's Cough Syrup N10 (Caramel Flavour) and a related product, Madame Pearl's Cough Syrup N10, because the Department of Health has received a complaint regarding the presence of glass fragments in a bottle of the caramel flavour Cough Syrup. A total of 25 batches of cough syrup are affected by this recall.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.