If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
For information on the US Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak and egg recalls, please click here.
For information on the Abbott infant formula powder recall, please click here.
- Food Safety Alert/Recall: FDA, CDC and Costco warn consumers to avoid Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese (Costco item #40654), which may be related to an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 infections. The cheese was available for sale and free samples were offered for in-store tasting at Costco in Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada. Costco is advising consumers to return any remaining Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese, has voluntarily removed the cheese from its stores and, using card purchase records, has notified consumers by phone of the situation.
- Food Safety Recall: Eickman's Processing (Establishment Number 31776, Seward, IL) recalls approximately 12,086 pounds of meat and poultry products because they may have been underprocessed. The products subject to recall were produced between Nov. 4, 2007, and April 7, 2010, and distributed to retail establishments in the northern Illinois area.
- Food Safety Recall: Beaver Street Fisheries, Inc. (Jacksonville, FL) is recalling 5-7 lb Tuna Loins Lot 928378, because they have the potential to be contaminated with elevated levels of histamine. The tuna loins were distributed to wholesalers and distributors in Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, & Virginia.
- Food Safety Recall: Baugher's Orchard & Farm (Westminister, MD) recalls all of its apple cider because of its potential to contain E. coli. Maryland's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, together with local health departments, are investigating a cluster of seven E. coli O157 cases that may be related to the consumption of unpasteurized Baugher's apple cider
- Food Safety Alert/Recall: The California Department of Public Health warns the public not to eat certain Fresh Choice Marketing (Oxnard, CA) red leaf lettuce sold between October 20th and November 1st at three Southern California grocers, because the lettuce may be contaminated with Salmonella. The implicated lettuce was sold as whole head lettuce with no identifying label at Canton Food Co. (Los Angeles), and at Cardenas Market and Numero Uno Market locations throughout Southern California.
- "Unauthorized Health Products" Alert: Unauthorized health products that may pose serious risks to health were removed by Health Canada from two Fitness Etc. stores on Vancouver Island, British Columbia: one in Campbell River and one in Courtenay.The labels on some of these products indicate they contain ingredients that legally require the products to be sold by prescription because they are used to treat serious diseases or may have side effects that require monitoring by a health care practitioner.
- Food Safety Alert (Denmark): Illegal manufacture and sale of meat has been detected by the Danish Food Authority. Beef, minced venison, salami and smoked eel sold from the address Kløvestedvej 8, 4140 Borup was produced in unlicensed premises under unsanitary conditions and without veterinary inspection. Consumers are urged to discard these products.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1501): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins in live mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1502): Salmonella spp. in frozen chicken breasts from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1503): Salmonella typhimurium in raw frozen beef burgers from Italy; distributed to Andorra, France and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1504): Salmonella in chilled bovine meat from Italy; distributed to Greece.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2010.1505): Unauthorised substances dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), progesterone and 7,17-dimethyltestosterone in food supplement for sports people from the United States, via Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1506): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of redfish (Sebastus marinus) from Iceland; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1507): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis (dead nematode larvae) of frozen hake (Merluccius hubsi) from Argentina; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1508): Presence of poisonous mushrooms (Tricholoma virgatum and Tricholoma josserandii) in mushrooms from Spain; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1509): Unsuitable organoleptic characteristics (rancid smell) of and suspicion of Clostridium botulinum (microbiological results awaited) in nut luncheon from Spain; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1510): unauthorised use of colour E 124 - Ponceau 4R / cochineal red A in vacuum packed frozen tuna (Thunnes albacares) from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2010.1511): Unauthorised substance yohimbine in food supplement from the United States; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety advises the public not to eat a batch of "Loch Fyne" prepacked ready-to-eat smoked salmon products (Best before November 18, 2010; Place of origin: Scotland) which might have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, after two samples of smoked salmon from the same consignment taken from an importer were found to have Listeria monocytogenes. UK authorities have been informed of the incident.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong and Macao): Merika Medicine Factory Limited recalls Cousedin Cold & Cough Relief Cap (batch no. 724345 and 927111), as the products were found to exceed the permitted microbial limit.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.