If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall: River Ranch (Salinas, CA) recalls Whole Head Romaine Lettuce (24 count, bulk packed; Lot code 13816 291, with no individual labeling), because the lettuce may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Romaine lettuce was distributed to multiple states, including California (follow live link for California distribution list) and New York.
- Food Safety Recall: California Department of Public Health has posted a list of California retail grocers, restaurants and food service locations that were supplied with shell eggs recalled by Cal-Maine Foods, Inc.
- Food Safety Recall: California Department of Public Health has posted a list of California retail grocers that were supplied with fresh cilantro (Lot #6127R) recalled by EpicVeg, Inc. The recalled cilantro bundles have a white twist tie with black lettering spelling the word "Cilantro" and were available for purchase between October 21st and October 23rd.
- Allergy Alert: Fukuda Trading Co. Ltd. recalls Languly Vanilla Cream Sandwich Langue De Chat Cookies, 132g and Languly Chocolate Cream Sandwich Langue De Chat Cookies, 132g because the cookies contain undeclared egg. One person has reported an allergic reaction associated with consumption of these cookies. The recalled Languly cookies were distributed in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Pitt Meadows Meat Packers (Pitt Meadows, BC) recalls beef trims that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume certain ground beef, curry beef, beef stew, ground lamb and ground beef patty products from several stores in British Columbia (follow live link for details) that are affected by the Pitt Meadows recall.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Give Them Hope is withdrawing 120g packs of chocolate coated peanuts and packs of mixed nuts, due to the presence of undeclared peanuts and undeclared nuts, in some of their Dublin Simon Community charity packaged confectionery.
- Food Withdrawal (Finland): Atria Finland Ltd. withdraws four date codes of porkkanalaatikossa (400g package), because of a labeling error. The top of the package incorrectly shows the product as being lactose-free. This product does not represent a health hazard, but consumption of the contents by lactose-intolerant individuals may cause discomfort.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1522): Listeria monocytogenes in bio goat's cheese with bacon from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Bulgaria, France, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1523): Residue level above MRL for sulfadimethoxine in swine caracasses from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1524): Dicofol in industrial fresh apples from Romania; distributed to Germany, Poland and Romania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1525): Salmonella spp. in clams (Tapes) from Italy; distributed to Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1526): Aflatoxins in spiced mixture from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2010.1527): Excess vitamin B9 - folic acid in food supplements from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1528): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis (15 larvea) of chilled hake (Merluccius merluccius) from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1529): Aflatoxins in basmati rice from Italy; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1531): Aflatoxins in fig paste from Turkey; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1532): Salmonella spp. in sausages from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1533 and #2010.1534): Ivermectin unauthorised in corned beef from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1535): Salmonella anatum in marbled sirloin from Argentina, via Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1536): Salmonella Dublin in beef trimmings from Ireland; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1537): Glass fragments (4 mm) in canned liverwurst from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1538): Mold in kidney beans from China; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Hong Kong Wah Sheng Medical Company Limited is ordered to recall the topical proprietary Chinese medicine called Wujigao, after the Department of Health detects a trace amount of salicylic acid in the product.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Wah Fai Hong, a licensed Chinese medicine wholesaler is instructed to recall Once OK Beriberi Lotion, manufactured by Hong Kong Chung Shun Medicine Manufactory, after the product is found to contain Benzoic acid.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): M Z Holdings Ltd. recalls Mayur Brand Tapioca Chips Round Fried and Mayur Brand Tapioca Slices (Masala) Fried (200g, Batch No. MZ-1; Best Before 10/11/2010; imported from India), because these products have been found to contain unacceptable levels of substances that can release cyanide when digested and may pose a risk to human health. The products displaying this batch number should not be consumed. The products are sold in Indian retail outlets in Christchurch, Wellington, Palmerston North and Auckland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.