If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market (El Segundo, CA) recalls some fresh&easy Ginger Spice Cookie Dough, 16 oz. (Enjoy by date of Dec 03), because the product may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was sold in Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market stores in California, Nevada and Arizona.
- Food Safety Recall: Bravo Farms (Traver, CA) recalls all Dutch Style Gouda Cheese bearing Lot codes less than 0233, because the cheese may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled cheese was distributed primarily through Costco in Southern California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico in 1.5 lb. pieces. It was also distributed through various retail stores within California. The company is asking consumers to return the cheese to the store for a full refund. CDC and FDA have reported an association between this cheese and 25 confirmed cases of E. coli O157:H7 infections in 5 states.
- Food Safety Recall: Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. updates its November 5th recall to include 120 dozen Pippin Loose Medium shell eggs (Plant P1457; Julian date 282; Sell by/Expiration 11/07/10) that have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Minnesota Smoothies and More, LLC dba Saint Paul Bagelry (Roseville, MN) that several inspections of the company's facility revealed that several of the bagel products are misbranded.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Eckerd Seafood, Inc. (Darien, GA) that a June/July 2010 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods. In addition, a sample of pasteurized crabmeat taken during the inspection failed a test for decomposition.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Hong's Merchandising Group, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) that a July/August inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Empresas Y-Nuina (Canovanas, PR) that a June/July inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Mexicali Cheese Corp. (Woodhaven, NY) that an August 2010 inspection of the company's cheese processing facility resulted in the detection of Listeria monocytogenes in five locations at the facility and also revealed serious violations of FDA's Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food (CGMP) regulations.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Natural Balance Foods Ltd. withdraws Nakd Cashew Cookie Bar (Best before 02/03/11) because the product was cross-contaminated with peanut.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury's recalls Sainsbury's Cous Cous, 500g (Best before end July 2010), because the product contains small pieces of metal.
- Food Withdrawal (Ireland): Kelkin Ltd. withdraws several Vitabiotics Food Supplements due to a folic acid labeling compliance issue. The amount of folic acid in the supplements is in excess of the amount that is stated on the label.
- Food Safety Alert (Denmark): Denmark Food Authority advises the public that chickens, geese, turkeys and possibly ducks sold from the address Gabsvej 2, 7490 Aulum was slaughtered in an unauthorized facility and under unhygienic conditions.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Hvide Sande Smokehouse Ltd. recalls smoked halibut (Expiry 22 November 2010) due to the presence of high levels of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Pernod-Richard Denmark A/S withdraws Aalborg Aquavit Christmas 2010 because a dye in the stopper may leach into the spirits.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Lee Sze Trading Co. recalls An Chuang San Ri Qing (Xian Tao Lu), as it contains an undeclared western medicine metronidazole. The product was imported from the Mainland for sale in Hong Kong.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.