If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: According to GIANT® Food Stores, Liz Lovely Inc. (Waitsfield, VT) has recalled Liz Lovely Organic Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Cookies (12/6.3 oz) and Liz Lovely Organic Peanut Butter Classics Cookies (12-count) because the two varieties contain undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: New Braunfels Smokehouse (New Braunfels, TX) recalls approximately 2,609 pounds of fully cooked, ready-to-eat smoked turkey breast products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled items were packaged under the New Braunfels and Stegall brand names and sold nationwide, including through catalog and internet sales. The products bear the number P-975 inside the USDA mark of inspection, were produced on August 4, 2010 and show package code 2180 or 2210 on the product labels (please see the recall notice for details.)
- Food Safety Recall (Alaska): The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has requested that Interior Alaska Fish Processors, Inc. (Fairbanks, AK) recall Santa's Smokehouse brand Cajun-Style Smoked Keta Salmon (0.55 lb. vacuum-sealed packages; Batch 245) that were sold at the company's retail store in Fairbanks between August 27 and November 6, 2010. The affected product has tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): DPI Specialty Foods (Tualatin, OR) recalls Mauri Brand Gorgonzola cheese because it may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled cheese was sold in Costco Wholesale Stores within the state of Colorado. The Mauri Brand Gorgonzola is packaged in clear plastic in approximately 1 lb. size wedges, and can be identified by the following information contained on a white sticker on the package: "DISTRIBUTED BY DPI Specialty Foods Tualatin, OR, ITALY 34449". The affected cheese bears sell by dates of 01/2/11 through 01/27/11.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City advises that Trademill Rye Flour Self Rising, 2 lb. has been recalled or withdrawn. No details have been provided.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Price Chopper advises that Inkology Inc. has recalled Bug Eye Pen and Glo Lite Pen novelty pens, because they are being tested by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Allergy Alert (Québec): MAPAQ advises the public not to consume Les Jardins Valmont brand Creamy White Cole Slaw and Creamy Green Cole Slaw produced by Les Jardins Valmont Inc. (3805 boulevard Taschereau, Longueuil), because the products may contain undeclared eggs.
- Medical Device Recall: PWB Health Ltd. is recalling its Breastlight product, which is currently available on the Canadian market, as a result of Health Canada's evaluation of the safety and effectiveness information regarding this new technology. Health Canada notes that there is no clinical evidence that the Breastlight is an effective screening device for the early detection of breast cancer.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Inbev has recalled one batch of Budweiser beer (15 x 300ml bottles; "Born on" 14 September 2010, production site reference 107 or 107A) because it might contain small pieces of glass. The recalled batch was sold in Sainsbury's stores and may also have been distributed to other retailers.
- Food Supplement Withdrawal: Vitabiotics has withdrawn six food supplements, in a range of pack sizes, because the products contain higher levels of folic acid than mentioned on the product labels. The withdrawn items include all batches produced before November 2010 of the following products (various package sizes): Wellwoman® Original Capsules (30- and 90-count), Wellman® Tablets (30-count), Menopace® Tablets (30- and 90-count), Menopace® Plus Tablets (56-count), Perfectil® Triple Active Tablets - Skin, Hair & Nails (30- and 90-count) and Perfectil® Plus Tablets/Capsules - Skin, Hair & Nails (28-count). The implicated food supplements originated in the United Kingdom and were distributed in the United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, and Portugal (EU #2010.1527).
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kreatina A/S recalls Landlord sausage (150g slices; packed 04-11-2010; best before 06-12-2010), because the product may contain Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Magnihill Denmark recalls ScanAgra brand Frozen Raspberries from Magnihill (2500g bags; production date 14.08.2010; Lot No. 03011408 and 03021408) because the fruit may contain Norovirus.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kragegaarden/Økomølleriet recalls Organic svedjerugmel (flour), 1 kg bags and Sea bread flour (750g bags) produced by Økomølleriet (all expiration dates), because the flour contains high levels of ochratoxin.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1553): Unsuitable means of transport for bulk deodorized pure lard from Sweden; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1554): Salmonella enteritidis in fresh chicken eggs from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1555): Excessive Escherichia coli in live clams (Tapes decussatus) from Turkey; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1556): Plastic fragments in meat-salad from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1557): Unauthorised use of colour E 102 - tartrazine and of colour E 110 - Sunset Yellow FCF in noodles from China, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Slovakia.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1558): Salmonella (several serovars) in hydrolyzed feather meal from the United Kingdom; distributed to Finland.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1559): Migration of primary aromatic amines from nylon utensils from the United Kingdom; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.1560): Migration of primary aromatic amines from non-stick turner and tong set from China; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.