If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- FDA Enforcement Action: Two arrests made in contaminated imported food case. Operators of The Lacteos Factory (Miami, FL) charged with introducing adulterated food products into interstate commerce. According to the complaint, the accused individuals allegedly faked re-exportation of imported cheese that they had been ordered to either re-export or destroy; instead, the cheese – which was contaminated with Staphylococcus aureus – was sold to over thirty customers.
- Food Safety Alert: Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA) suspends permits that allow Elmer Z. and Martha B. King farm (Aaronsburg, Centre County and Cedar Hollow Farm (Mill Hall, Clinton County) to sell raw milk for human consumption. The action was taken after Listeria monocytogenes was found in a raw milk sample taken from the King farm and after Campylobacter was detected in a raw milk sample from the Cedar Hollow Farm. PDA urges consumers to discard raw milk obtained from these two farms. No illnesses have been reported.
- Food Safety Recall: La Moutonnière inc. recalls crème brulée and three varieties of cheeses because of the possible presence of dihydrostreptomycine, an antibiotic. The Fromagerie La Moutonnière brand dairy products were sold at Marché Jean Talon (Montréal, QC) between April 1st and April 15th.
- Food Safety Alert and Recall (France): U brand and Notre Jardin brand canned green beans may be contaminated with the toxic plant Datura stramonium (also known as thornapple or Jimsonweed, and have been recalled. Two members of the same family in Doubs suffered symptoms of intoxication (thirst, vertigo, and vision problems) after consuming the product. The recalled green beans were sold in Leclerc and U stores throughout France.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2010.0499): Metal pieces in salami sausage from Germany; distributed in Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2010.0501): Salmonella Rubislaw in whole black pepper from unknown origin; distributed in Austria and Germany.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0502): Salmonella Mississippi in processed animal proteins from Germany; distributed in Belgium.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0503): Migration of cadmium and of lead (heavy metals) from drinking glasses from Turkey; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0504): Ethion and hexaflumuron (pesticide residues) in beans from Egypt; distributed in Belgium (Starfruit brand), Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.