FDA confirmed, in a statement issued on March 11th, that Salmonella has been found in multiple samples of imported black and red pepper supplied to Daniele International, Inc. At least one of the Salmonella cultures was a genetic match for the strain of Salmonella Montevideo that has sickened at least 249 people in the United States since July 1, 2009.
Daniele International recalled more than 1.26 million pounds of ready-to-eat Italian deli meats and sausages during January and February after the company's salami was identified as the probable source of a significant fraction of the Salmonella Montevideo illnesses.
FDA's recovery of Salmonella from pepper samples has resulted in the following recalls in the USA, Canada and Mexico.
Bass Pro Shops®
Uncle Buck's® Beer Batter Mix Lightly-Seasoned (code date w9308k), distributed in Bass Pro Shops® stores nationwide, on basspro.com and at select retailers.
Binelli Bros. Cutlery
Ground black pepper, distributed by Binelli Bros. Cutlery in the state of Michigan only.
Dutch Valley Food Distributors, Inc.
Dutch Valley has recalled peppercorns, ground pepper, seasoning mixes and dip mixes, distributed nationwide under the Bulk Foods, Inc. label, through retailers and on the company's website.
Frontier Natural Products Co-op
Frontier Natural has recalled Frontier and Whole Foods Market brands of spices, distributed in bulk sections and in retail packaging nationwide in the US and some parts of Canada. Some Frontier brand spices were sold in Kroger, Smith's, QFC, Fred Meyer, Giant, Tops, and Wegmans stores.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency reports on March 12th, March 16th and March 17th that the following items were distributed in Canada:
- Frontier Curry Powder, 453g
- Frontier Black Pepper Coarse Grind, 454g
- Frontier Peppercorns Black Whole L/M, 454g
- Frontier Garlic N Herb Blend, 16 oz/453g
- Frontier Greek Seasoning Blend, 16 oz/453g
- Frontier Muchi Curry Powder, 16 oz/453g
- Frontier Spaghetti Seasoning, 16 oz/453g
- Frontier Thai Seasoning Blend, 16 oz./453g
- Frontier Veggie Pepper Blend, 16 oz/453g
- Whole Foods Market 365 Asian Seafood Seasoning, 4.62oz./131 g
- Whole Foods Market 365 Mediterranean Seafood Seasoning, 4.23oz./120 g
- Whole Foods Market 365 Mediterranean Rotisserie Seasoning, 4.73oz. 134 g
- Whole Foods Market 365 Toronto Steak & Chicken Rub, 4.76oz. 135 g
- Specific date codes of Gorton's Shrimp Scampi (UPC 4440015130)
C. H. Guenther & Son, Inc.
Specific products within the Sunbird Seasonings, Williams Wings Seasonings and Williams Gumbo Soup lines, sold in grocery, warehouse and other retail outlets throughout the United States.
C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. announced the recall of Chilli Man Branded Seasoning Mix pouches (Code date W0004Q) on March 18th. The recalled product was sold in grocery and other retail outlets throughout the United States.
The following products, sold in grocery stores throughout the United States, were added to the Guenther recall notice on March 22nd.
- Bayou Heat Spicy Wings Seasoning
- Shop’n Save Chicken Roasting Bag & Seasoning Blend
- Carlita Fajita Seasoning Mix
- La Tiara Taco Seasoning
- Shurfine Pork Gravy
- Shurfine Season ‘n Bake for Chicken-with bag
- Western Family Pork Gravy Mix
- Western Family Season ‘n Bake for Chicken with bag
- HY-TOP Pork Gravy Mix
- HY-TOP Fajita Seasoning Mix
- HY-TOP Cooking Bag & Seasoning Blend for Chicken
- HY-TOP Marinade Southwest-Flavor for Meat or Chicken
- IGA Bag’n Bake – Cooking Bag and Seasoning Mix Chicken
- Parade Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Parade Pork Gravy Mix
- Weis Chicken Season ‘n Bake – Roasting Bag and Seasoning
- H-E-B Beef Stew Seasoning Mix
- H-E-B Meat Loaf Seasoning Mix,
- H-E-B Sloppy Joe Mix
- Best Yet Season 'n Bake Chicken
- Food Club Beef Stew
- Tops Pork Gravy
- Piggly Wiggly Season 'n Bake Chicken
H.D.W. Foods Inc.
- Perfect Candy & Packaging Co. recalls H.D.W. brand Whole Black Peppercorns, 2.0 oz Bags (UPC# 080869654293).
Heartland Foods, Inc.Heartland has recalled all sizes/containers of COARSE GROUND BLACK PEPPER shipped from their Indianapolis facility between October 19th, 2009 and February 17th, 2010, inclusive.
John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc.
Sanfilippo has recalled Fisher Louisiana Cajun Mix (distributed in Fisher Outlet stores in Northern Illinois) and several Archer Farms Brand nut and trail mixes (distributed exclusively in Target stores nationwide). The recalled products contain black pepper supplied by Mincing Overseas Spice Company and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
Little Caesar Spice Paks
Blue Line Foodservice Distribution recalls Little Caesar Spice Paks that were handed out at consumer request in Little Caesar stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The small white packets measure 1.25" x 2.5" and do not show any identifying UPC or lot code.
McCain Foods USAMcCain recalls McCain All American Roasters (24 oz bag; lot code #W91125; produced November 25, 2009), because the potato product contains black pepper that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled item was sold in grocery stores across the USA.
Mincing Overseas Spice Company
Mincing Overseas recalled black pepper (Lots 3258 and 3309), packaged in 50 lb, 25 lb, and 20 lb cartons with Mincing Overseas Spice Company's name. The recalled black pepper was shipped to customers (including Daniele International, Dutch Valley, and Frontier Natural) in FL, IA, IL, IN, MA, OK, NJ, NY, PA, RI, TX and WI.
Spice BarnSpice Barn, Inc. recalls two lots of black pepper, distributed to customers in VT, NY, PA, MA, GA, VA, CA, TX, CO, MO, WA, FL, AL, MI, AZ, AR, WA.
- Malabar Peppercorns, Lot MTC-3258 (1 & 5 lb Bags); Distributed from 1/26/10 to 2/8/10
- Ground Black Pepper, Lot MO-3258T (1 & 5 lb Bags); Distributed from 12/08/09 to 2/8/10.
Top Food & Drug
Muchi Curry Powder, Hot (UPC 089836-001382; Lots 0004 and 9350)
Tops Friendly MarketsTops Pork Gravy Mix (1 oz.), Lots #W9327B & W9328B
Tree of Life Canada
Tree of Life Canada ULC (Mississauga, ON) recalls the following products, that contain black pepper recalled by Mincing Overseas Spice Company. The recalled items were distributed across Canada.
- Sun Bird Thai Fried Rice (28g), lot codes W0011G and W9309G
- Sun Bird Chop Suey (28g), lot code W0006G
- Sun Bird Chow Mein (28g), lot codes W0005G and W9316G
- Sun Bird Fried Rice (21g), lot codes W9320G and W9334G
Wholesome SpiceWholesome Spice recalled all lots of 25 lb boxes of Crushed Red Pepper sold between 4/6/09 and 1/20/10. The recalled red pepper was distributed to customers in the US Northeast, including Daniele International.
This recall list will be updated as additional recalls are announced.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.