If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Alert: The Hawai‘i State Department of Health has confirmed 10 cases of illness occurring on O‘ahu caused by Salmonella Paratyphi B infection related to eating previously frozen internationally imported raw ahi tuna. Thirteen cases of Salmonella Paratyphi B infections (same genetic pattern) have been reported by five mainland states and are under investigation to determine whether there is a link to raw ahi.
- Food Safety Alert: The Texas Department of State Health Services has temporarily closed most Texas coastal waters to the harvesting of oysters, clams and mussels because of an algal bloom and the potential presence of toxins in some shellfish.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert: Health Canada is warning Canadians that the cosmetic product Foaming Baby Wipes Solution (UPC 2008100227) by Northern Essences of Georgia is contaminated with Micrococcus bacteria, and should be discarded. The contaminated baby wipes were sold over the internet and in at least four retail locations in Québec and Ontario. Health Canada has requested retailers to removed the product from store shelves and is working with the Canada Border Services Agency to block future importation of this product.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: AZ Trading Co. Ltd. (Richmond, BC) recalls Urban Pop Jewellery mood necklace pendants because the jewellery contains lead in excess of Canadian standards.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: United Unlimited Importers (Winnipeg, MB) recalls Heart Gemstone Necklaces because the jewellery contains lead in excess of Canadian standards.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Tesco recalls one production batch of Tesco Flaked Pudding Rice due to the presence of undeclared wheat gluten.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Skare Meat Packers recalls garlic-marinated flank steak (Lot #140410) because Salmonella was detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Lidl Finland Ky recalls South American Beef Rump Steaks (Lot #L1775I; Best before 17/03/2011), because Salmonella was detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Danone recalls Blédina baby foods that contain peas, because a supplier of the peas erroneously mixed peas for general consumption with peas for use in baby foods.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0500): Salmonella Minnesota in marinated chicken fillets from Germany; distributed in Denmark
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0501): Salmonella Rubislaw in whole black pepper from unknown origin; distributed in Germany.
- OTC Product Recall (France): Le laboratoire Merck Medication Familiale recalls the oral medication TERPINE GONNON 0.5% (Lot 2112), because a glass fragment was in one container of the product.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.