If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: USDA posts updated retail distribution list for recalled Daniele International, Inc. meats.
- Food Safety Alert: Willow Marsh Farm (Ballston Spa, NY) voluntarily suspends sales of raw milk after its milk is linked to 5 cases of Campylobacter enteritis. Preliminary tests carried out in New York State labs indicate milk may be contaminated with Campylobacter. Department of Health warns consumers in and around Saratoga County not to drink unpasteurized milk from Willow Marsh Farm.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: FAF Inc. (Greenville, RI) recalls The Princess and the Frog brand children's necklaces because they contain high levels of cadmium. The recalled necklaces, which were manufactured in China, were available exclusively at Walmart stores.
- Allergy Alert: Provigo recalls salade de riz sauvage pommes et canneberges (wild rice, apple and cranberry salad) because it contains undeclared sulfites. The affected salad was sold in Provigo and Loblaws supermarkets throughout Québec.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Schylling Associates, Inc. (Rowley, MA) recalls Glazed Ceramic Butterfly Tea Set by Schylling (date code 8207 only) after Health Canada determines that the glaze contains excessive cadmium. The made-in-China tea sets were sold between January 2009 and March 2009 in retail stores in British Columbia, Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Alberta.
- Consumer Health Alert: Health Canada warns consumers to avoid using unauthorized health products sold under the brand names Natural Choice Vitamin B-17, Natural Choice Kava Kava and Natural Choice Lithium Orotate. These unauthorized health products may also be sold under the brand names Life Choice, Doctor's Choice, Your Choice and Healthy Choice.
- Consumer Health Advisory: Health Canada warns consumers that natural health products containing the ingredient glucomannan in tablet, capsule or powder form, which are currently on the Canadian market, have a potential for harm if taken without at least 8 ounces of water or other fluid. The risk to Canadians includes choking and/or blockage of the throat, esophagus or intestine, according to international adverse reaction case reports. These products should NOT be taken immediately before going to bed.
- Shellfish Harvest Warning (Wales): Carmarthenshire Council closes Penrhyn Gwyn cockle and mussel beds after testing reveals significant levels of E. coli. Harvesting of shellfish from these beds is banned until the beds are reopened.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2010.0073): Listeria monocytogenes in syrečky cheese (Quargel Käse) from Austria; distributed in Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0100): Unauthorised E 385 - calcium disodium ethylene diamine tetra acetate (CDEDTA) in carbonated beverage from the United Arab Emirates; distributed in Cyprus.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0101): Migration of epoxidised soybean oil (ESBO) (3.7 mg/kg - ppm) and of 1,2-cyclohexanedicarboxylic acid diisononyl ester - DINCH (9.2 mg/kg - ppm) from lids of jars containing marinated mixed mushrooms in herb oil from China; distributed in Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Russian Federation, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0102): Salmonella typhimurium U302 multiresistant (in 1/12 samples) in sliced pork from Germany; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notififcation (EU #2010.0103): Mould infestation in chocolate desserts from Germany; distributed in the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0104): Unauthorised ingredient (presence of the plant Ylang ylang) in massage oil fit for human consumption from Belgium; distributed in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Slovenia and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0105): Migration of DEHP - di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (> 500 µg/kg - ppb) from gasket of lid of jar containing pickles from India; distributed in the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0106): Salmonella (suspicion) in filled chocolate from the Slovak Republic; distributed in the Netherlands.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0107): Migration of cadmium (0.15; 0.15; 0.09 mg/dm²) from coloured dishes from China, via Germany; distributed in Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0109): Benzo(a)pyrene (86 µg/kg - ppb) in bilberry extract to produce a food supplement with raw material from Italy, via the United States; distributed in Norway.
Asia, Africa & The Pacific
- Unregistered Pharmaceutical Product Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or use a proprietary Chinese medicine named "Ba Bao Xiao Ke Dan", because it was found to contain an undeclared western medicine, glibenclamide, which may cause serious side effects.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.