If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Mislabeling Recall: Meijer recalls Meijer Natural Crackers, manufactured by North American Baking, due to a labeling error.
- Food Safety Recall: Park 100 Foods, Inc. (Kokomo, IN) recalls approximately 19,200 pounds of frozen chicken pot pie products (lot code 28209) that may contain foreign materials, after a consumer complained of having found metal straight pins in the product. The recalled pot pies were distributed by Market Day through Internet or catalog sales in Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
- False Labeling Court Action: The CEO of Sterling Seafood Corporation (Cresskill, NJ) pleads guilty to importing falsely labeled fish from Vietnam and evading over $60 million in federal tariffs, as well as selling over $500,000 in similarly misbranded fish purchased from another importer in the United States.
- Dietary Supplement Alert: Health Canada warns consumers not to purchase or use "The Slimming Coffee" (previously sold as "Lose Weight Coffee"), because this product contains the undeclared prescription drug sibutramine. The weight-loss product (manufactured in China by MeiYa Technology Building and imported and distributed by Gateway International of Ville Saint-Laurent, Québec) is not authorized for sale in Canada. Gateway has stopped selling the product.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Health Canada warns consumers that excessive lead has been found in some children's jewelry products sold in Canada.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: McNeil Consumer Healthcare (Canada) recalls certain production lots of ROLAIDS® Antacid Tablets, sold in 100-count and 150-count bottles, due to the presence of trace amounts of a chemical called 2,4,6-tribromoanisole.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): KB Finest A/S recalls Fresh organic salmon, 250g (Batch number: 36341 and 36349) because the product is labeled with an incorrect expiry date. The recalled item was sold in Co-op stores across Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0059): Mold and insect infestation in mushrooms in vinegar with salt (Agaricus psalliota biospora) from China; distributed in Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.0060): Traces of milk ingredient (casein) in food supplement from France; distributed in Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0061): Unauthorised use of colour E 127 - erythrosine in sugar coated fennel seeds from India; distributed in the United Kingdom.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.