If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: USDA posts retail distribution list for enchilada products recalled by Fernando's Food Corporation.
- Food Safety Alert: Illinois Department of Public Health warns consumers that raw milk distributed through a cow share program from a dairy in Middlebury, Indiana. has been associated with multiple cases of Campylobacter infections. A Family Farms Cooperative in Michigan received milk from the Indiana dairy and has delivered the suspect milk to locations in Des Plaines, Downers Grove, Elgin and Chicago, Illinois.
- Food Safety Recall: C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. expands its earlier recalls to include four additional products that contain black pepper supplied by Mincing Overseas Spice Company and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals closed a Plaquemines Parish molluscan shellfish harvesting area. DHH also ordered a recall of all oysters harvested from the area since March 6, including shucked, frozen, breaded and post-harvest processed oysters, and oysters for the half shell market. The Louisiana oysters have been linked to an outbreak of Norovirus gastroenteritis in Mississippi.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns C & S Wholesale Grocers (Keene, NH) that inspections of the company's processing facility carried out in August and September 2009 revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Pacific American Fish Co., Inc. (Vernon, CA) that inspections of the company's Boston facility carried out in July 2009 revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Registry Steaks and Seafood Ltd. (Bridgeview, IL) that a series of inspections of the company's seafood processing facility carried out during April-July 2009 revealed serious violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) and associated regulations.
- Food Safety Recall: C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. recalls Chilli Man Branded Seasoning Mix because it contains a pepper ingredient that may have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Allergy Alert: Metro Richelieu, Inc. recalls several prepared foods that contain undeclared milk, soy, eggs, nuts, sesame, peanuts, wheat and/or sulfites. The recalled items were sold at Metro or Metro Plus stores in the province of Québec.
- Allergy Alert: Québec's Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAPAQ) advises consumers that various packaged sandwiches carrying the Le Perco Distribution brand name contain undeclared egg and soy proteins. The sandwiches were sold in vending machines, canteens and convenience stores in the Montérégie region of Québec.
- Food Safety Recall: Solar Raw Food (Castleton, ON) recalls Solar Raw Food brand Ultimate Kale Chips - Red Peppercorn Ranch, is sold in a 100 g package bearing UPC 8 75405 00503 1 and Best Before dates from 12FE11 to 15MR11, because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Kale Chips were distributed in Ontario and Québec.
- Food Safety Recall: Blue Line Foodservice Distribution (Farmington Hills, MI) recalls Little Caesars Spice Paks, because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. The Spice Paks were available to customers on request in Little Caesar's Ontario stores located in Woodstock, Chatham, Windsor, Kingston, Tilbury, St. Clair Beach, LaSalle, Barrie, Courtice, Mississauga, Whitby, Dundas, Stoney Creek, Essex, Leamington and Amherstburg between December 18, 2009 and March 15, 2010.
- Unauthorized Health Product Alert: Health Canada warns Canadians that an unauthorized health product, "Herbal Diet Natural" has been found on the Canadian market and contains an undeclared pharmaceutical ingredient similar to the prescription drug sibutramine. Sibutramine may pose serious health risks, particularly to people with heart problems.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0376): Mould growth on pasteurized processed cheese from Switzerland; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0377): Unauthorised import of various products of animal origin from the Philippines; distributed in the Netherlands.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2010.0378): Migration of primary aromatic amines from kitchen utensils from China; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0379): Mercury in swordfish fillets from France; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0380): Mercury in chilled swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0381): Unauthorised irradiation of Korean ginseng from the Czech Republic; distributed in the Czech Republic.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.0382): Bone fragments of land animals in fish meal from Germany, via Austria; distributed in the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0383): Suffocation risk as a result of the consumption of jelly mini-cups containing unauthorised carrageenan from Malaysia, via the Netherlands; distributed in Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0384): Suffocation risk as a result of the consumption of jelly mini-cups containing unauthorised carrageenan from Thailand, via Sweden; distributed in Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0385): Escherichia coli and Salmonella spp. in holy basil from Thailand; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0386): Suffocation risk as a result of the consumption of jelly mini-cups containing unauthorised carrageenan from Taiwan, via Sweden; distributed in Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.0387): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Spain; distributed in Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Recall (Hong Kong and Singapore): The Hong Kong Department of Health (DH) has directed licensed manufacturer in proprietary Chinese medicines Li Chung Shing Tong (Holdings) Ltd. HK to recall Po Chai Pills Capsule Form and Po Chai Pills Bottle Form from local retail outlets and consumers as its capsule form was found in Singapore to contain phenolphthalein and sibutramine, which can cause very serious side effects. Singapore's Health Sciences Authority has announced a recall of Po Chai Pills Capsule Form.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.