- Food Safety Recall: Market of Choice (Eugene, OR) recalls bulk and packaged hazelnuts (filberts) that were processed at Willamette Shelling Inc. for Evonuk Oregon Hazelnuts, because the nuts may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled nuts were sold in seven Market of Choice stores in Eugene, Ashland, SW Portland and West Linn, Oregon.
- Safety Alert (Texas): Texas Department of State Health Services warns consumers, especially pregnant or breastfeeding women, to avoid consuming a traditional product called “Nzu” because of the potential health risks from high levels of lead and arsenic.
- Food Safety Recall: National Steak and Poultry (Owasso, OK) recalls approximately 248,000 pounds of beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled meat is linked to reported illnesses in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, South Dakota and Washington
- Food Safety Recall: Associated Grocers of Maine (Gardiner, ME) recalls approximately 312 pounds of ham products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled ham was imported from Canada and is part of a recall initiated by OLYMEL S.E.C. (Montreal, QC).
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert: Health Canada warns consumers not to use "RevolutionDS Weight Loss", an unauthorized health product promoted for weight loss, because it contains benzylpiperazine (BZP), and may pose serious health risks.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Dollarama L.P./S.E.C. (Montreal, QC) recalls Slimosaurus BlowUp Goop With a Dinosaur Fossil after Health Canada determines that these China-made products contain organic solvents; children's balloon blowing kits that contain organic solvents have been banned in Canada since 1973.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: RP Toys Ltd. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Star Trek U.S.S Enterprise Bridge Play Set because the coating on the screen of the made-in-China toy contains barium in excess of the allowable limit.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Importer Al-Kassimi Food ApS recalls spices that contain Sudan Red, a colorant that is not permitted in foods in Denmark.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2009.1764): Migration of primary aromatic amines from black nylon skimmer with wooden handle from China; distributed in Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1765): Aflatoxins in melon seeds kernels from Turkey; distributed in Germany and France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1766): Foreign body (insect larva and impurities) in infant formula from the Netherlands; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1767): Defective packaging (leaking pouches) of apple and pear puree from France; distributed in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. Recall announcements for this Heinz baby food were posted on the UK and Ireland Food Standards websites.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1768): Mercury in fresh slices of swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1769): Salmonella spp. in live mussels from Ireland; distributed in France, Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1770): Cadmium in elite wheat from Germany; distributed in Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1771): Triazophos (pesticide residue) in curry leaves from India; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1772): Excessive level of E 950 - Acesulfame K (food additive) in sweets from Switzerland; distributed in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1773): Mercury in frozen swordfish steaks (Xiphias gladius) from Vietnam; distributed in France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1774): Aflatoxins in roasted pistachio nuts from Iran; distributed in Italy.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2009.1775): Migration of primary aromatic amines from black plastic spaghetti server from Hong Kong; distributed in Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1776): Bad hygienic state of frozen squid (Dosidicus gigas) from Spain; distributed in Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1777): Glass fragments in stir-fried vegetables from Germany; distributed in Germany.
- Undeclared Ingredient Notification (EU #2009.1778): Undeclared lactose and sucrose in free-amino-acid-based hypoallergenic formulae from Spain; distributed in Spain.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2009.1779): Unauthorised substance sibutramine in slimming pills from China; distributed in Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
Asia, Africa & The Pacific
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety advises people not to drink a Bonsoy soy milk product which is suspected of containing unusually high levels of iodine. The agency has alerted retailers to stop selling this product.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.