- Allergy Alert: Cardona's Market Inc. (Albany, NY) recalls all lot codes of its Vodka Sauce (25 oz jars) because the sauce may contain undeclared milk.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Food City and Price Chopper advise consumers that Top Care Milk of Magnesia (regular and mint flavors) has been recalled. Due to a labeling error, the amount of calcium and magnesium per tablespoon is understated.
- Food Safety Advisory: Barf Blog warns that head cheese originating in New Hamburg, MO may be contaminated with Salmonella. The original warning was issued by the Scott County Health Department.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): KB Finest A/S updates earlier recall notice to provide additional details. Company recalls Keta smoked wild salmon, Whiteline, sliced 100g (Lot No. 23363; Best before 30th December 2009) due to presence of nitrate and nitrite, neither of which are permitted in this product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Euro Fruits recalls pecans imported from South Africa, because the nuts were dyed with azorubin E122, a colorant that is not permitted in Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1738): Whole wheat pasta from Italy, via the Netherlands infested with moulds; distributed in Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1742): Bacillus cereus and Bacillus cereus diarrheal enterotoxin in acai berry juice from Sweden; distributed in Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1744): Mercury in chilled swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from Spain; distributed in France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1745): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts in shell from Iran, via the United Kingdom; distributed in Ireland.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1746): Excessive Enterobacteriaceae in dog chews from Thailand; distributed in Estonia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1747): Unauthorised sodium nitrite in smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed in Denmark, Italy and Germany. See manufacturer's recall notice (above) for additional details.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1748): Salmonella anatum in boneless skinless turkey breasts from Brazil, via the Netherlands; distributed in Italy.
Asia, Africa & The Pacific
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety warns consumers about noodlefish that may contain formaldehyde, an unauthorized preservative, after a food surveillance exercise detected high levels of formaldehyde in one noodlefish sample (out of a total of ten samples).
- Enforcement Action (Hong Kong): The Department of Health announces the arrest of an individual for selling slimming product with undeclared drugs on the Internet.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.