For the second time this month, the USDA has advised consumers of a recall of frozen chicken products that contain small pieces of foreign material.
On November 7th, Barber Foods Company (Portland, ME) recalled more than 41,000 pounds of frozen, stuffed chicken after customers complained of finding pieces of rubber in the chicken entrées. The Schwann's Stuffed Chicken Kiev was produced on May 17, June 2 and August 4, and sold through catalogs and over the internet.
Yesterday (November 17th), Nestlé Prepared Foods Company (Springville, UT) announced a recall of 879,565 pounds of frozen chicken meals after several consumers reported finding pieces of hard plastic in the entrées. One injury was reported.
The recalled entrée packages, listed below, carry a USDA inspection logo with Est. P-9018, and were produced on Aug 18, Aug 21, Aug 28, Sept 9, Sept 19, Sept 25, Sept 30, Oct 6, Oct 17-18, Oct 22 and Oct 27.
- LEAN CUISINE PESTO CHICKEN WITH BOW TIE PASTA, 9.5-ounce package. Production code of “8280595912” and use-by date of “Best Before MAY 2010.”
- LEAN CUISINE CHICKEN MEDITERRANEAN, 10.5-ounce package. Production code of “8231595912” or “8241595912” and use-by date of “Best before SEP 2010”. Production code of “8263595912,” “8269595911” or “8274595912,” and use-by date of “Best before OCT 2010”. Production code of “8291595912” or “8301595912” and use-by date of “Best before NOV 2010.”
- LEAN CUISINE CHICKEN TUSCAN, 12.5-ounce package. Production code of “8234595911” and use-by date of “Best before SEP 2009” Production code of “8253595911” or “8269595912” and use-by date of “Best before OCT 2009”. Production code of “8292595911” or “8296595911” and use-by date of “Best before NOV 2009.”
The chicken meals were distributed through retail establishments throughout the United States. USDA will be posting a retail distribution list as soon as the information is forthcoming from Nestlé. Meanwhile, here is the information we've been able to assemble so far.
- Food Lion, LLC (Bloom, Food Lion and Reid's stores): Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (10.5 oz), UPC 13800 16612, store item #671396
- Giant Food LLC: All three varieties of Lean Cuisine mentioned in the USDA recall notice
- Harris Teeter: Lean Cuisine Spa Classic Chicken Mediterranean
- The Kroger Company (King Soopers, Ralphs, QFC, Food 4 Less stores only): Lean Cuisine Chicken Tuscan (12 oz.), Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (10.5 oz.)
- Price Chopper: Lean Cuisine Chicken Bowtie Pasta (9.5 oz.)
- ShopRite: All three varieties of Lean Cuisine mentioned in the USDA recall notice
- The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company: All three varieties of Lean Cuisine mentioned in the USDA recall notice
- TOPS Friendly Markets: Stouffer Lean Cuisine Chicken Tuscan, (12 oz.), Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (10.5 oz.)
- Wal-Mart USA: All three varieties of Lean Cuisine mentioned in the USDA recall notice
- Wegmans: Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (10.5 oz.)
For a complete retail distribution list covering the three recalled items, click HERE. This 140-page list provided by USDA is sorted alphabetically by state, then by city. Revised list issued December 4th.
If you have purchased one of the recalled varieties of Lean Cuisine, please check the production code and Best before date printed on the side of the package.
Consumers with questions about this recall should contact the Nestlé Consumer Services Center at (800) 227-6188.
The Hong Kong Centre for Food Safety reports that all three Lean Cuisine products were exported from the United States to Hong Kong. The CFS advises consumers not to eat the recalled entrées, and has instructed local retailers to remove the items from store shelves.