(originally posted November 26, 2008)
On November 26th, Shaws of Huddersfield ordered its Apricot and Ginger Chutney withdrawn from store shelves due to the presence of undeclared sulphur dioxide, according to an Allergy Alert issued by the UK Food Standards Agency.
The product withdrawal was extended on December 4th to include all date codes of the following Shaws of Huddersfield 1889 Yorkshire brand chutneys:
- Apricot and Ginger, 300g: Batch code AGC
- Apricot and Orange, 300g: Batch code AOC
- Autumn Fruit, 300g: Batch code AFC
- Curried Fruit, 300g: Batch code CFC
- Hot Toddy, 300g: Batch code HTC
- Mulled Wine, 300g: Batch code MWC
- Santa’s Special, 300g: Batch code SSC
- Spicy Apricot, 300g: Batch code SAC
- Winter Ale, 300g: Batch code FLC
- Winter Warmer, 300g: Batch code WWC
Consumers who are sensitive to sulphur dioxide or sulphites should not eat these products, as they may provoke a severe allergic-type reaction in sensitive individuals.