Sunset Orchards/Richland Hills (Richland Center, WI) has recalled several sliced apple products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, according to information released today by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
The sliced apple products, which are labeled with "Use By" dates of Jan 26-30, were distributed mainly to restaurants and to institutions such as schools, nursing homes and hospitals.
The company has recalled the following list of sliced apple products:
- Richland Hills Sliced Apples in 2-ounce, 2.4-ounce, 3-ounce, 2-pound and 10-pound packages
- Richland Hills Honeycrisp Sliced Apples in 4-ounce packages
- Richland Hills Organic Sliced Apples in 4-ounce and 6-ounce packages
- Crunch Pak Organic Sliced Apples in 6-ounce packages
- Richland Hills Apple Nibblers in 2-ounce packages
- Richland Hills Diced Apples in 2-pound and 10-pound packages
- Richland Hills Quartered Apples in 10-pound packages
- Richland Hills Half Apples in 10-pound packages
Additionally, the company has recalled Pearson Foods fruit trays with sell-by dates of Jan. 19 and earlier and containing 6.5-ounce, 12-ounce, 24-ounce, 36-ounce and 48-ounce packages of apples.
There also was limited retail distribution of the recalled items, including Crunch Pak Organic Sliced Apples, which were recalled by Costco on January 12th.
Listeria monocytogenes usually produces only a mild infection. But the pathogen can cause life-threatening illness in susceptible individuals, including the elderly, the very young, chronically ill persons, people with weakened immune systems and pregnant women.
The dangers inherent in Listeria monocytogenes outbreaks were demonstrated with lethal results in last summer's Canadian outbreak that killed twenty of its victims. Fortunately, no illnesses have been reported so far in conjunction with the sliced apple products.
Institutions who purchased the recalled items are asked to contact their suppliers for instructions. Consumers are requested to return the recalled products to the store for a refund. For more information, contact the company toll-free at 1-800-811-8088.