Updated January 27, 2009 with new retail distribution informationOriginal article posted January 25, 2009
Stonewall Kitchen (York, ME) has recalled seven of its dessert sauces after discovering that the pH (acidity) and water activity levels did not meet the company's food safety standards. Products with a pH of 4.6 or higher, or with elevated water activity, may promote the growth of Clostridium botulinum and the production of a potent neurotoxin by the microbe.
The company has recalled all product codes and expiration dates of the following items:
- Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce (SKU 161312) – round glass jar, 12 oz.
- Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Peanut Butter (SKU 161211) – round glass jar, 12 oz.
- Stonewall Kitchen Coffee Caramel Sauce (SKU 161204) – round glass jar, 13 oz.
- Stonewall Kitchen Dulce de Leche Sauce (SKU 161214) – round glass jar, 12.5 oz.
- Barefoot Contessa Espresso Dulce de Leche (SKU 542313) – round glass jar, 10.5 oz
- Simply Enjoy Coffee Caramel Sauce – square glass jar, 13 oz.
- Simply Enjoy Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce – square glass jar, 12 oz.
The two Simply Enjoy items were distributed through A-Hold Corporation, the parent of Stop & Shop and Giant stores, and were sold nationally in both chains.
The Stonewall Kitchen and Barefoot Contessa sauces were also available nationally, through Stonewall Kitchen stores, through the Company's direct-sales division (catalog and internet sales) and through wholesale distribution. The Stonewall Kitchen and Barefoot Contessa sauces may have been purchased either in gift baskets or individually.
Recalled items also were available in the following retail store chains:
The Company has received no complaints or illness reports linked to these products. Nevertheless, consumers should not even taste one of the sauces, as a minuscule quantity of botulinum toxin is capable of producing severe neurological symptoms. Anyone who has sampled one of these sauces and begins to experience even mild symptoms should seek medical attention immediately.
Stonewall Kitchen asks consumers to return these products to the store for a full refund. Customers with questions can contact Stonewall Kitchen Premier Services at 1-800-826-1735.