To answer this question, we've trolled through 10 years of FDA recall notices and 6 years of CFIA (Canadian) recall notices – everything available in the on-line recall archives for both countries. Following is a list, sorted in ascending order by date, of Salmonella-related pet food and pet treat recalls in the United States and Canada.
- October 1, 1999: FDA Issues Nationwide Public Health Advisory About Contaminated Pet Chews (USA)
- October 27, 1999: Pet Valu Recalls Certain Dog Chew Products Due to Possible Health Risk (USA)
- May 26, 2000: Nationwide Recall of Medalist Brand Pig Ear Pet Treats Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- June 6, 2000: Products Carousel, Inc., Recalls "Pets Carousel 100% Choo-Hooves Pressed Sticks - Item #90010-S Because of Possible Health Risk (USA)
- June 7, 2005: Presence of Salmonella Bacteria in Certain Pet Treats (Canada)
- June 8, 2005: T.W. Enterprises Issues Nationwide Recall of Pet Treats Due to Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- June 17, 2005: T.W. Enterprises Expands its Nationwide Recall of Pet Treats to Include All of its Products Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- February 13, 2007: FDA Warns Consumers Not to Use Wild Kitty Cat Food Due to Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- March 9, 2007: BJ's Wholesale Club Issues Recall of "Berkley & Jensen" Full-Cut Pig Ears Dog Treats Because of Potential for Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- March 23, 2007: Petrapport Issues Recall of Pig Ear Dog Treats Because of Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- March 30, 2007: Eight in One Announces Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Dingo® Chick'n Jerky Treats for Dogs, Cats And Ferrets (USA)
- April 3, 2007: All Lots of Dingo Chick'N Jerky Treats for Dogs, Cats and Ferrets May Contain Salmonella (Canada)
- April 5, 2007: FDA Issues Health Hazard Alert for Pet Chews Due to Contamination with Salmonella (USA)
- April 16, 2007: T.W. Enterprises Issues Nationwide Recall of Dog Chews Due to Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- June 6, 2007: Single Lot of 55lb Bags of Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food Voluntarily Recalled in Select Stores by Doane Pet Care (USA)
- August 21, 2007: Select Red Flannel Large Breed Adult Formula Dry Dog Food 50lb Bags Voluntarily Recalled in Pennsylvania (USA)
- August 21, 2007: Select Krasdale Gravy Dry Dog Food 5lb Bags Voluntarily Recalled in Five States (USA)
- August 25, 2007: Mars Petcare US, Inc. Recalls Dry Dog Food (USA)
- September 18, 2007: Bravo! Issues Nationwide Recall of Select Poultry Products for Dogs and Cats (USA)
- March 13, 2008: Presence of Salmonella Bacteria in Roll Over Pork Tenders Premium Dog Treat (Canada)
- August 8, 2008: Mars Petcare US Issues Voluntary Recall of Limited Bags of Pedigree® Complete Nutrition Small Crunchy Bites at Albertsons in Southern California and Las Vegas due to Potential Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- September 12, 2008: Mars Petcare US Issues Voluntary Recall of Everson, PA Plant Dry Pet Food Product due to Potential Salmonella Contamination (USA)
- October 27, 2008: Mars Petcare US Issues Voluntary Recall of a Limited Number of Bags of Special Kitty® Gourmet Sold at Wal-Mart Locations in Fifteen States due to Potential Salmonella Contamination (USA)
A Few Notes:
- Red Flannel, Krasdale and Ol' Roy dry dog foods (all recalled due to Salmonella) were manufactured by Mars Petcare, Inc.
- Doane's US operations were purchased by Mars, Incorporated – the parent of Mars Petcare in 2006.
- Wild Kitty cat food and Bravo! dog food were commercial raw products.
- Dried, raw treats and chews – jerky, pig ears, rawhide, et cetera – were behind all of the remaining Salmonella-related recalls.
Based on product recall patterns, Mars Petcare, Inc. appears to be the only dry pet food manufacturer that is experiencing a chronic Salmonella problem.