- Food Recall: Food City advises customers that Log Cabin Original Syrup 24 oz has been recalled.
- Pet Treat Recall (Updated 6:45 p.m. with information provided by the manufacturer): Food City advises customers that the manufacturer has recalled SnawSomes! Beef & Chicken Flavor Snausages (dog treats) 9.75 oz. According to the manufacturer, Del Monte Foods, "SnawSomes Beef & Chicken Flavor Snausages are safe for your pet to eat and have not been formally recalled by the Company. We have been notified that some consumers have seen what looks like salt or crystals in the product. These ‘crystals’ are formed when potassium sorbate – a normal ingredient in the product – breaks down. This is not harmful to your pet if he or she eats them, and should not affect the taste. Although the product is not harmful, crystallization does not meet our Quality Assurance standards for appearance. We are working on identifying the cause and fixing the issue.
- Food Product Withdrawn (Packaging): Brookshires advises customers that certain 12” pre-baked Jessie Lord Pies are part of a voluntary market withdrawal due to broken clam shell packaging.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Almi Inc. of serious violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act following a series of inspections.
- FDA Court Action: FDA seeks a permanent injunction against Sharkco Seafood International Inc. (Venice, LA). The injunction is intended to stop the seafood processing company from distributing scombrotoxin-forming fish in interstate commerce.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Rynkeby Foods recalls REAL JUICE CLASSIC 2 Liter (Best Before 01/01/10) due to yeast contamination
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1619): Bacillus cereus in organic dried black mushrooms from Vietnam; distributed in France
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1621): Salmonella Reading in frozen marinated chicken breast fillets from Lithuania, dispatched from France; distributed in Denmark
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1622): Salmonella enteritidis and Campylobacter coli in chilled turkey breast from Hungary; distributed in Slovenia
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1623): Unauthorised use of colour E 122 - azorubine on shell of pecan nuts from South Africa, via the Netherlands; distributed in Denmark
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1624): Veterinary drug residues in raw milk from Hungary; distributed in Italy
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Wah Lien Trading Pty Ltd recalls Shui Kou Preserved Bean Curd (Chilli) due to contamination with Bacillus cereus. The recalled 400g glass jars of bean curd were sold through Asian retail outlets in the state of Victoria.
Asia, Africa & The Pacific
- Dietary Supplement Warning (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns consumers not to buy or use a slimming product labeled as "Slimming Beauty" as it was found to have contained undeclared the western medicines sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.