- Allergy Alert: ConAgra Foods recalls a limited number of 15 oz. tubs of Blue Bonnet Spread. As a result of a packaging error, the product tubs contain undeclared whey (milk protein).
- Food Safety Alert: The US Department of Justice, on behalf of FDA, seeks permanent injunction against seafood processor Haifa Smoked Fish Inc. of Jamaica, N.Y., and two of its top officers for violations of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Dietary Supplement Recall: IDS Sports announces nationwide recall of five of the company’s dietary supplement products sold under the names Bromodrol, Dual Action Grow Tabs, Grow Tabs, Mass Tabs, and Ripped Tabs TR, because the products contain the following undeclared substances, which FDA considers to be steroids: “Madol,” “Turinabol,” “Superdrol,” and/or “Androstenedione.”
- Dietary Supplement Recall: GMP Herbal Products, Inc. announces nationwide recall of Pai You Guo, a weight loss dietary supplement, after FDA determines that the product contains undeclared sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
- Food Safety Advisory (UK): Health Protection Agency investigates 7 confirmed and 6 possible cases of E. coli infection that may be linked to the consumption of cooked meats or sandwiches from Myers Bakery in Felling (Gateshead area).
- Food Alert (Republic of Ireland): Coca Cola Hellenic Bottling Company announces that one batch of Dr. Pepper carbonated fruit flavour soft drink in 500 ml PET bottles contained an excessive amount of the food preservative, benzoic acid. The implicated batch is no longer available for sale.
- Animal Feed Notification (EU #2009.1563): Salmonella in fish meal from Denmark; distributed in Czech Republic
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1562): Mercury in fresh greater amberjack (Seriola dumerili) from Croatia; distributed in Italy (notified by Slovenia)
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1561): Glass fragments in crisps from Austria; distributed in Denmark
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1560): Salmonella in chicken doner kebab from Germany; distributed in Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands and Spain
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2009.1557): Escherichia coli in clams (Tapes decussatus) from Tunisia; distributed to Italy
Asia, Africa & The Pacific
- Dietary Supplement Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns consumers that the slimming product Xi Zhi Su contains undeclared sibutramine and phenolphthalein and has been recalled.
- Dietary Supplement Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns consumers that Neovidan contains undeclared prednisolone and mefenamic acid and has been recalled.
- Food Safety Advisory (Viet Nam): The Department of Health advises that several Chinese-made jams and dried fruits contain high levels of lead.
- Food Safety Alert (Brazil): Health authorities in Brazil's Para state warn that contaminated acai berries may be behind an outbreak of Chaga's disease in the neighborhood of Belem.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.