- Allergy Alert: R. E. Kimball and Company, Inc. (Amesbury, MA) recalls approximately 1200 units of Clam Chowder and Corn Chowder, including all lot numbers in 15 oz cans, because they contain undeclared milk and wheat. The recalled chowders were packaged under several different brand names and distributed throughout New England.
- Allergy Alert (Retail Consignee List): USDA publishes list of retail consignees for Recall #032-2009: Kroger, Fully Cooked, Buffalo Style Chicken Wings, Chicken Wing Sections Coated With Sauce. The chicken wings were recalled by Pilgrim's Pride on June 10th, due to the presence of undeclared milk, soy, and wheat.
- Food Safety Recall: Bao Ding Seafood (New York, NY 10002) recalls Boiled Horse Mackerel, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets discovered that the fish was not eviscerated before being processed.
- Food Safety Recall: The California Department of Public Health warns consumers to avoid Dulces Beny Mega Pinta Labios Candy, manufactured by Dulces Topi, S.A. DE C.V. in Mexico. Tests carried out by CDPH determined that the candy contains excessive lead. CDPH is working to identify the distributor and to ensure that the candy is removed from the marketplace.
- Food Safety Recall: The California Department of Public Health warns consumers to avoid Chulada Saladitos C/Chile (Salted Plums W/Chili), packed and distributed by Chulada, Inc. (Burbank, CA), after tests determine that the candy contains excessive lead. CDPH is working with the distributor to have the candy removed from the marketplace.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns consumers that several Lotte and Crown brands of biscuits, imported from Korea, have been recalled by the importers. The recalled items may contain undeclared milk, eggs, and/or hazelnuts.
- Food Safety Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns consumers that Our Father's Farm brand Ultra Bitter Apricot Kernels should not be consumed in excessive amounts, as the product contains a natural toxin, amygdalin, which can cause acute cyanide poisoning. CFIA is working with Our Father's Farm to remove the product from the marketplace. The Ultra bitter Apricot Kernels were distributed throughout Ontario, and may also be available in other parts of Canada.
- Food Safety Recall: La Boutique du Pâtissier Enr. (1075, avenue Laurier Ouest, Outremont, QC) recalls cooked ham sold by weight between May 21 and May 29, 2009, because it may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Europe, Including the United Kingdom
- Allergy Alert (UK): Co-Operative Group withdraws Truly Irresistible Oatmeal Batch Loaf 800g, with a ‘best before’ date of 15 June, as some of the Co-operative’s Truly Irresistible White Farmhouse Loaf products may have been wrapped in the Oatmeal Batch Loaf packaging. The White Farmhouse loaf contains a soya ingredient that is not declared on the Oatmeal Loaf packaging.
- Dietary Supplement Alert: The Food Standards Agency warns consumers to avoid using Hydroxycut weight-loss supplement products, as these products have been linked to several cases of liver damage, and one death. The Hydroxycut products, manufactured by Iovate in Canada, have been recalled in the United States, Canada and Finland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.