If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): The Suter Company, Inc. (Sycamore, IL) recalls approximately 72,000 pounds of canned chicken salad products that may contain pieces of hard plastic. The cans of chicken salad bear establishment number P-169 and lot code 0225XXQBC. The recalled items include Bumble Bee Lunch on the Run Chicken Salad Complete Lunch Kit (8.2 oz package; best by 07/11) and Bumble Bee Chicken Salad With Crackers (3.5 oz package; best by 01/12 or 02/12). The products were assembled between August 14th and 28th, and shipped to distributors and retail stores nationwide, including Giant Eagle and Food City.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Atlas Walnut Co. of California recalls walnut halves and pieces because a shipment sent to another manufacturer has tested positive for Salmonella. The recalled nuts were distributed to distributors (including Monarch Food Group) and retailers nationwide. Affected retailers include Food City and Kroger (stores located in North Carolina, Virginia, Eastern West Virginia, Eastern Kentucky and Southeast Ohio).
- Food Safety Recall (Update): The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) warns the public not to consume in-store packaged sandwiches and subs containing processed cheese that were sold at certain Metro, Richelieu, AMI and Extra stores in Quebec (best before dates up to and including December 6, 2010), because the products may contain Listeria monocytogenes. The sandwiches and subs were made with processed cheese slices that were recalled by Saputo Inc. on December 2, 2010.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2010.1647): Sulphite in dried candied pears from China, packaged in Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1648): Salmonella enteritidis in fish meal from Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1649): Histamine in tunafish chunks in oil from Thailand, via Germany; distributed to Slovakia.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1650): Salmonella Mbandaka in soya from Italy; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1651): Listeria monocytogenes in vacuum packed smoked halibut processed in Poland, with raw material from Norway, via Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2010.1652): Unauthorised substance sildenafil thiono analogue in food supplements manufactured in Italy, with raw material from China; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1653): Carbon monoxide treatment of sliced tuna (Thunnus albacares) from Spain; distributed to Germany and Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Supplement Safety Recall: Tek Shing Trading Pty Ltd recalls Weight and Blood Fat Reducing Coffee (180g cardboard box; best before 2012/03/17) and Coffee Fast (180g cardboard box; best before 2012/04/11), because the products contain the prescription medication sibutramine. The recalled weight loss products were distributed in Asian grocery stores in Sydney, NSW.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.